Hatch: Gays Worship Politics, Not Religion
BY Michelle Garcia
June 03 2010 7:55 PM ET
At a public event Tuesday, Utah senator Orrin Hatch said gays and
lesbians have replaced religion with politics.
"Gays and lesbians don't pay tithing; their religion is politics," the Republican senator said to a crowd of 300 at Dixie State College in St. George, Utah. He added that his those in his party should also organize more like gay rights activists, union members, environmentalists, and personal injury lawyers do for the Democrats.
Harry Knox, the religion and faith program director at the Human Rights Campaign, condemned Hatch's words.
“Senator Hatch is certainly right that many of his fellow Republicans could learn a lot from LGBT people’s dedication to equality," he said in a statement Thursday. "But there is no denying that there are millions of LGBT Americans who every day give their time, talent, and money to local churches, synagogues, and temples all over the country. LGBT religious leaders are often the very ones revitalizing moribund churches and institutions. These committed religious leaders are working to provide a loving alternative to the hopeless hatred people like Senator Hatch call sound doctrine.”
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
- Republican Wants Right to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu'
- Sen. Lisa Murkowski Endorses Marriage Equality
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King Among First Inductees to Gay and Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame 19 min 23 sec ago
- Entertainment News Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Jail 50 min 43 sec ago
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem 4:04 PM
- Entertainment News Should Brazil Legalize 'Conversion' Therapy? 3:42 PM
- World News Liberal Australian MP Crosses Aisle In Support of LGBT Nondiscrimination 3:30 PM
- Women WATCH: Hot Lesbians Don Cowboy Hats, Chaps and Spurs for Cowgirl Up 3:18 PM
- Pride PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine 3:02 PM