Cricket Star Goes Nude for Gay Mag
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 19 2010 1:15 PM ET
English cricketer Jimmy Anderson has stripped down for the cover of Attitude magazine, saying he hopes the article and accompanying photos attract a new audience to the game.
"From my point of view, I think doing this could be fantastic for cricket,” he told AFP. “Hopefully this will attract a new sort of fan."
The married 28-year-old plays first-class cricket for Lancashire County Cricket Club. He said that unlike in other sports, he thinks if there are any closeted cricketers, they should come out, because he hasn’t seen any homophobia in the sport.
"If there are any gay cricketers, they should feel confident enough to come out, because I don't think there is homophobia in cricket,” he said. “Football fans can be quite abusive and quite harsh, and cricket fans can be like that sometimes, but they are generally quite placid and there to watch the game and support their team."
Anderson said if any of his teammates were to come out, he’d celebrate by throwing them “a special gay cricket tea."
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark 7:01 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker 6:45 PM
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? 6:44 PM
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards 6:03 PM