Cricket Star Goes Nude for Gay Mag
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 19 2010 2:15 PM ET
English cricketer Jimmy Anderson has stripped down for the cover of Attitude magazine, saying he hopes the article and accompanying photos attract a new audience to the game.
"From my point of view, I think doing this could be fantastic for cricket,” he told AFP. “Hopefully this will attract a new sort of fan."
The married 28-year-old plays first-class cricket for Lancashire County Cricket Club. He said that unlike in other sports, he thinks if there are any closeted cricketers, they should come out, because he hasn’t seen any homophobia in the sport.
"If there are any gay cricketers, they should feel confident enough to come out, because I don't think there is homophobia in cricket,” he said. “Football fans can be quite abusive and quite harsh, and cricket fans can be like that sometimes, but they are generally quite placid and there to watch the game and support their team."
Anderson said if any of his teammates were to come out, he’d celebrate by throwing them “a special gay cricket tea."
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People
- Business P.R. Agency Adds LGBT Practice 7 min 54 sec ago
- Travel A Tour Through the San Francisco of Looking, Season One 10 min 29 sec ago
- Women Houston Lesbian Couple Found Murdered, Cops Searching for Suspect 13 min 42 sec ago
- Women WATCH: 10 Worst Ways to Pick Up a Lesbian 16 min 5 sec ago
- Parenting Ubbas: The Golden Shower Toy 1 hour 12 min ago
- Russia WATCH: Moscow LGBT Demonstrators Attacked 1 hour 14 min ago
- Women WATCH: Lost Girl's Zoie Palmer Thanks Female Partner at Canadian Film Awards 1 hour 27 min ago