Feldblum Confirmed to EEOC
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 23 2010 5:15 PM ET
Lesbian lawyer and longtime activist Chai Feldblum was confirmed as a commissioner of the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission in a Senate vote Wednesday, the Federal Times reports.
Feldblum, who has been the target of much criticism by conservatives, had been serving under a recess appointment by President Obama since April, along with another commissioner, the commission’s chair, and its general counsel, who also were confirmed Wednesday in one of the Senate’s last actions before the holiday break.
At the time of her recess appointment, the right-wing Traditional Values Coalition characterized Feldblum as “radical” because of, among other things, her authorship of the proposed Employment Non-Discrimination Act and her objection to the Supreme Court’s ruling allowing the Boy Scouts of America to exclude gays. The group called ENDA “draconian” and said Feldblum would “ruthlessly enforce” it — even though it has yet to be passed into law.
Feldblum was a professor at Georgetown University’s Law Center from 1991 until her EEOC appointment, and before that she worked for the American Civil Liberties Union. She helped draft the Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990 and amendments to it in 2008.
Her EEOC term runs until July 1, 2013. Others confirmed were commissioner Victoria A. Lipnic, commission chair Jacqueline A. Berrien, and general counsel P. David Lopez.
- Boston: Major Beer Sponsor Pulls Out of St. Pat's Parade
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview
- Ready and Looking: The Dilemma of a 20-Something
- Media Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer 26 min 25 sec ago
- Health HHS Orders Insurers to Cover All Married Same-Sex Couples 49 min 26 sec ago
- Politics Big Repub Donors Fund Push for ENDA 1 hour 31 min ago
- Love and Sex Ready and Looking: The Dilemma of a 20-Something 1 hour 32 min ago
- Media WATCH: Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview 1 hour 53 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Game Developers Conference Tackles LGBT Representation in Video Games 1 hour 56 min ago
- Politics Meet the 21-Year-Old Gay Republican Running for Idaho Legislature 2 hours 23 min ago