Feldblum Confirmed to EEOC
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 23 2010 5:15 PM ET
Lesbian lawyer and longtime activist Chai Feldblum was confirmed as a commissioner of the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission in a Senate vote Wednesday, the Federal Times reports.
Feldblum, who has been the target of much criticism by conservatives, had been serving under a recess appointment by President Obama since April, along with another commissioner, the commission’s chair, and its general counsel, who also were confirmed Wednesday in one of the Senate’s last actions before the holiday break.
At the time of her recess appointment, the right-wing Traditional Values Coalition characterized Feldblum as “radical” because of, among other things, her authorship of the proposed Employment Non-Discrimination Act and her objection to the Supreme Court’s ruling allowing the Boy Scouts of America to exclude gays. The group called ENDA “draconian” and said Feldblum would “ruthlessly enforce” it — even though it has yet to be passed into law.
Feldblum was a professor at Georgetown University’s Law Center from 1991 until her EEOC appointment, and before that she worked for the American Civil Liberties Union. She helped draft the Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990 and amendments to it in 2008.
Her EEOC term runs until July 1, 2013. Others confirmed were commissioner Victoria A. Lipnic, commission chair Jacqueline A. Berrien, and general counsel P. David Lopez.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Music WATCH: Cher Wigs Out on The Voice 14 min 35 sec ago
- Entertainment News CA Town Hoists And Promptly Removes Gay Pride Flag 1 hour 22 min ago
- No More Bullying Meet the 2013 Point Scholars: Living Proof It Does Get Better 6:00 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Dreaming in the White House 5:05 AM
- Commentary Day of Decision Op-ed: When a Marriage Would Split Us Up 4:00 AM
- Entertainment News Seen at TrevorLIVE: Jane Lynch, Billy Porter, Cason Crane, Cindy McCain June 18 2013 9:44 PM
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood June 18 2013 8:09 PM