Cohen, Cammermeyer Honored by Point Foundation
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 26 2011 4:25 PM ET
Washington National Guard colonel Margarethe Cammermeyer and Bravo TV vice president Andy Cohen will be honored in April by the Point Foundation for advancing gay rights and visibility.
Jorge Valencia, the Point Foundation's executive director and CEO, said Cammermeyer's work as a colonel and a nurse "is living proof of what Point instills in each of its scholars: to be resilient, giving and passionate about what they believe in." Cammermeyer, who came out to her commanders as a lesbian in 1988, will receive the Point Legend Award, according to an announcement released Tuesday.
He also said Cohen was deserving of the Point Courage Award due to his support of the organization and his contribution to elevating the visibility of gay people in the media.
"As an out, proud, successful television executive and on-air personality, he serves as an outstanding role model for our Point Scholars and young people everywhere,” Valencia also said in the announcement.
Additionally, Johnson & Johnson will receive the Point Inspiration Award, acknowledging its Gay & Lesbian Organization for Business and Leadership (GLOBAL) initiative, which has become part of the companywide diversity program.
The Point Honors New York awards ceremony, featuring a dinner, a live auction, and celebrity presenters and performers, will take place April 4 and will be hosted by Kelly Ripa for the second consecutive year.
- Theater Adam Shankman to Helm Hair at Hollywood Bowl 3 min 19 sec ago
- Women Out Musician Soko On Being a Part of 'First Kiss' Viral Video 8 min 20 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment EXCLUSIVE: Elton John's Las Vegas Performance of 'Benny and the Jets' 1 hour 40 sec ago
- Sports Brooklyn Nets Stick with Jason Collins 1 hour 8 min ago
- Television Billy Eichner: Wants to Marry Meryl Streep & Get Down With Judi Dench 1 hour 12 min ago
- HIV & AIDS HIV 101: Does Being Positive Mean I Have to Stop Having Sex? 1 hour 27 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment EXCLUSIVE: Neil Patrick Harris, Behind the Shoot 2 hours 35 min ago