Cohen, Cammermeyer Honored by Point Foundation
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 26 2011 4:25 PM ET
Washington National Guard colonel Margarethe Cammermeyer and Bravo TV vice president Andy Cohen will be honored in April by the Point Foundation for advancing gay rights and visibility.
Jorge Valencia, the Point Foundation's executive director and CEO, said Cammermeyer's work as a colonel and a nurse "is living proof of what Point instills in each of its scholars: to be resilient, giving and passionate about what they believe in." Cammermeyer, who came out to her commanders as a lesbian in 1988, will receive the Point Legend Award, according to an announcement released Tuesday.
He also said Cohen was deserving of the Point Courage Award due to his support of the organization and his contribution to elevating the visibility of gay people in the media.
"As an out, proud, successful television executive and on-air personality, he serves as an outstanding role model for our Point Scholars and young people everywhere,” Valencia also said in the announcement.
Additionally, Johnson & Johnson will receive the Point Inspiration Award, acknowledging its Gay & Lesbian Organization for Business and Leadership (GLOBAL) initiative, which has become part of the companywide diversity program.
The Point Honors New York awards ceremony, featuring a dinner, a live auction, and celebrity presenters and performers, will take place April 4 and will be hosted by Kelly Ripa for the second consecutive year.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill May 18 2013 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre May 18 2013 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM