Hundreds of Gay Men Arrested in Bahrain
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 07 2011 9:40 AM ET
As many as 200 gay men may have been arrested in Bahrain on Thursday when police raided a private party alleged to be a same-sex wedding.
Gay NZ reports that, “According to police sources some of the men were allegedly drunk, and others were described as wearing women’s clothing and make up. The police are now said to be checking if any have a history of ‘debauchery or sodomy.’”
The men, mostly from Bahrain and Gulf countries, were arrested on the charge of “conduct against public morals” and their cases will be handled by the Bahrain General Attorney, reports Gay NZ.
Gulf Daily News reports that the party was held at Hidd Sports Club’s Al Rayan Hall near a very religious area. Some parts of Bahrain have been known until now as more relaxed in matters of sexuality.
Muharraq municipal councillor Ramzy Al Jalaleef seized on the arrests to call for tighter scrutiny of celebration halls, according to Gulf Daily News. He claimed the men had tricked the venue’s manager into believing they were holding a birthday party.
"They should be careful and investigate before allowing such events to happen and ruin the country's reputation," he said.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass-Wedding First in Maryland 7 min 44 sec ago
- Entertainment News How To Take Down An Anti-Gay 'Victim' 26 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: Perez Hilton Vs. Inflatable Alligator 32 min 37 sec ago
- Entertainment News One Direction: Caught Twerking—and in Calvins 47 min 48 sec ago
- Entertainment News Need to Know: Alabama’s All-Male Cheerleading Squad 58 min 45 sec ago
- Sports National Gay & Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame’s First Class Announced 1 hour 26 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Did Chris Colfer Get Arrested? 1 hour 32 min ago