Hundreds of Gay Men Arrested in Bahrain
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 07 2011 8:40 AM ET
As many as 200 gay men may have been arrested in Bahrain on Thursday when police raided a private party alleged to be a same-sex wedding.
Gay NZ reports that, “According to police sources some of the men were allegedly drunk, and others were described as wearing women’s clothing and make up. The police are now said to be checking if any have a history of ‘debauchery or sodomy.’”
The men, mostly from Bahrain and Gulf countries, were arrested on the charge of “conduct against public morals” and their cases will be handled by the Bahrain General Attorney, reports Gay NZ.
Gulf Daily News reports that the party was held at Hidd Sports Club’s Al Rayan Hall near a very religious area. Some parts of Bahrain have been known until now as more relaxed in matters of sexuality.
Muharraq municipal councillor Ramzy Al Jalaleef seized on the arrests to call for tighter scrutiny of celebration halls, according to Gulf Daily News. He claimed the men had tricked the venue’s manager into believing they were holding a birthday party.
"They should be careful and investigate before allowing such events to happen and ruin the country's reputation," he said.
- Media PHOTOS: Adam Lambert, Jane Lynch, Chris Colfer, Fergie at TrevorLIVE Benefit December 09 2013 9:41 PM
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album December 09 2013 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS December 09 2013 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback December 09 2013 4:10 PM