Hundreds of Gay Men Arrested in Bahrain
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 07 2011 9:40 AM ET
As many as 200 gay men may have been arrested in Bahrain on Thursday when police raided a private party alleged to be a same-sex wedding.
Gay NZ reports that, “According to police sources some of the men were allegedly drunk, and others were described as wearing women’s clothing and make up. The police are now said to be checking if any have a history of ‘debauchery or sodomy.’”
The men, mostly from Bahrain and Gulf countries, were arrested on the charge of “conduct against public morals” and their cases will be handled by the Bahrain General Attorney, reports Gay NZ.
Gulf Daily News reports that the party was held at Hidd Sports Club’s Al Rayan Hall near a very religious area. Some parts of Bahrain have been known until now as more relaxed in matters of sexuality.
Muharraq municipal councillor Ramzy Al Jalaleef seized on the arrests to call for tighter scrutiny of celebration halls, according to Gulf Daily News. He claimed the men had tricked the venue’s manager into believing they were holding a birthday party.
"They should be careful and investigate before allowing such events to happen and ruin the country's reputation," he said.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open March 09 2014 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play March 09 2014 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' March 09 2014 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM