Pink Nail Polish Causes Panic
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 12 2011 5:50 PM ET
While J. Crew's creative director openly celebrates her son's love of
the color pink, a Fox News commentator and a conservative media analyst
say the boy's exposure to pink nail polish is sure to result in years of
therapy for him.
A J. Crew ad features the brand's creative director Jenna Lyons with her son Beckett, sporting a set of bright pink toenails with the caption, "Lucky for me, I ended up with a boy whose favorite color is pink. Toenail painting is way more fun in neon."
Keith Ablow, a psychiatrist, wrote in a Fox News health column that "it may be fun and games now, Jenna, but at least put some money aside for psychotherapy for the kid — and maybe a little for others who’ll be affected by your 'innocent' pleasure." He added, "dramatic example of the way that our culture is being encouraged to abandon all trappings of gender identity."
Erin Brown of the Media Research Center also criticized the ad for pushing transgender propaganda.
"Not only is Beckett likely to change his favorite color as early as tomorrow, Jenna's indulgence (or encouragement) could make life hard for the boy in the future," she wrote. "J. Crew, known for its tasteful and modest clothing, apparently does not mind exploiting Beckett behind the façade of liberal, transgendered identity politics. One has to wonder what young boys in pink nail polish has to do with selling women's clothing."
J. Crew has not yet commented on the ad.
- Travel Destination of the Week: Denmark March 13 2014 7:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Daughter Teaches Mom Lesbian Slang March 13 2014 7:27 PM
- Women What do the OINTB Season 2 Promo Pics Mean for the Ladies of Litchfield? March 13 2014 7:14 PM
- Women BREAKING: Father of Murdered Texas Lesbian Arrested March 13 2014 6:34 PM
- Travel Directors, Reality Housewives and the Sad Story of WeHo's 'Death Corner' March 13 2014 5:33 PM
- Politics Michigan's First Out Federal Judge Confirmed March 13 2014 4:34 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Model Andrej Pejic Shouts: 'I'm a Boy and I'm a Girl!' March 13 2014 4:25 PM