Seven Shirtless Jocks, Two Are Gay
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 27 2011 2:30 PM ET
L’HOMO, a special edition of the Dutch women’s magazine Linda, features seven shirtless jocks on the cover talking about gays in sports — the catch is, only two of the men are actually gay.
All of the men featured on the cover support gay athletes coming out, and two of the men — gymnast Jeffrey Wammes (pictured at top below) and race car driver Mike Verschuur (pictured at bottom below) — talk about what it’s like to be out in their field.
For Wammes, this is his official coming-out interview.
“There was already a lot of speculation about whether or not I fell for boys or girls,” he said. “To me it has nothing to do with sport or how I perform. But when I was asked to do this, I made it clear straight away how things were and that’s that.”
Verschuur says coming out has actually helped him in his sport.
“Many fellow drivers — not mentioning any names — told me they were gay too,” he said. “But they dare not say so in public which is a real pity. Because there is nothing to fear. On the contrary, it has only made me stronger. It’s made me a better driver.”
Read about the rest of the athletes and more about the shoot at Outsports.com. Watch a behind-the-scenes video of the shoot here.
- Women This is the Meryl Streep/Hillary Clinton Selfie You Need In Your Life Right Now! 18 min 15 sec ago
- Women WATCH: AI's Out Performer MK Nobilette Does 'To Make You Feel My Love' 1 hour 21 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Married British Same-Sex Couples Are Now Legal 1 hour 36 min ago
- Travel Forget J.Lo, Windy City Gay Idol is the Hot Ticket 1 hour 39 min ago
- Parenting How Every Parent Should Respond to A Child Coming Out 1 hour 53 min ago
- Pride Will Lithuania Ban Pride Parades? 1 hour 55 min ago
- Women WATCH: Meet Orphan Black's New Clone! 1 hour 55 min ago