Seven Shirtless Jocks, Two Are Gay
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 27 2011 2:30 PM ET
L’HOMO, a special edition of the Dutch women’s magazine Linda, features seven shirtless jocks on the cover talking about gays in sports — the catch is, only two of the men are actually gay.
All of the men featured on the cover support gay athletes coming out, and two of the men — gymnast Jeffrey Wammes (pictured at top below) and race car driver Mike Verschuur (pictured at bottom below) — talk about what it’s like to be out in their field.
For Wammes, this is his official coming-out interview.
“There was already a lot of speculation about whether or not I fell for boys or girls,” he said. “To me it has nothing to do with sport or how I perform. But when I was asked to do this, I made it clear straight away how things were and that’s that.”
Verschuur says coming out has actually helped him in his sport.
“Many fellow drivers — not mentioning any names — told me they were gay too,” he said. “But they dare not say so in public which is a real pity. Because there is nothing to fear. On the contrary, it has only made me stronger. It’s made me a better driver.”
Read about the rest of the athletes and more about the shoot at Outsports.com. Watch a behind-the-scenes video of the shoot here.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- 52 LGBT Superheroes and Villains
- Suicides, Antigay Accusations Sully Elite San Diego School
- Op-ed: I'm a Lesbian Targeted by the Bathroom Police
- WATCH: Ted Cruz, Glenn Beck Think Marriage Equality Has Destroyed the Constitution
- STUDY: Bisexuals Have Worse Health Than Gay, Lesbian, or Straight People