Presbyterians Approve Gay Clergy
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 10 2011 7:50 PM ET
After 33 years of debate, the Presbyterian Church has voted to change its constitution and allow openly gay people in same-sex relationships to be ordained as ministers.
Just two years ago, the majority of the church’s regions voted against ordaining gay candidates.
This year’s vote was 205 to 56, with three abstentions. According to The New York Times, 19 of the church’s 173 presbyterys switched their votes from no to yes in the last few months.
“All of us are surprised,” said the Rev. Gradye Parsons, the church’s Stated Clerk, its highest elected official.
He said the change in tune can be attributed to the growing acceptance of gays and lesbians in the United States, and to church members growing tired of the conflict.
“We’ve been having this conversation for 33 years, and some people are ready to get to the other side of this decision,” he said. “Some people are going to celebrate this day, because they’ve worked for it for a long time, and some people will mourn this day because they think it’s a totally different understanding of Scripture than they have.”
The Presbyterian Church is the latest in a line of mainline Protestant churches to vote to accept gay clergy members and church leaders, including the United Church of Christ, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, and The Episcopal Church.
Click here to read more.
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! December 05 2013 7:57 PM
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport December 05 2013 7:33 PM
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip December 05 2013 7:12 PM
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! December 05 2013 6:54 PM
- No More Bullying WATCH: It Gets Better Speaks to Russian LGBT Youth December 05 2013 6:33 PM
- World News LGBT Rights Are 'Essential Part' of U.S. Foreign Policy, Says Susan Rice December 05 2013 6:15 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge Expected to Rule on Utah Marriage Ban Early Next Year December 05 2013 6:00 PM