Trans Widow Stripped of Benefits
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 01 2011 3:15 PM ET
A Texas judge has ruled that the marriage between Nikki Araguz and her late husband, a firefighter who died fighting a blaze last year, is null and void because Nikki is a transgender woman.
The decision by state district judge Randy Clapp strips Araguz of Thomas Araguz III's death benefits. A suit against Nikki Araguz was brought by her husband's family, who said she shouldn't be granted the benefits because she was born male and Texas doesn't recognize same-sex marriage.
Araguz will likely appeal.
Read the full story here.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- Gay Comic Publisher Undaunted by Apple's iBook Censorship
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View