Trans Widow Stripped of Benefits
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 01 2011 4:15 PM ET
A Texas judge has ruled that the marriage between Nikki Araguz and her late husband, a firefighter who died fighting a blaze last year, is null and void because Nikki is a transgender woman.
The decision by state district judge Randy Clapp strips Araguz of Thomas Araguz III's death benefits. A suit against Nikki Araguz was brought by her husband's family, who said she shouldn't be granted the benefits because she was born male and Texas doesn't recognize same-sex marriage.
Araguz will likely appeal.
Read the full story here.
- Women WATCH: PLL's Shay Mitchell - 'Sometimes I'd Rather Kiss Another Girl' 7 min 14 sec ago
- Politics Ore. AG Rules 'Religious Freedom' Bill Title Must Say 'Discrimination' 22 min 54 sec ago
- Television PHOTOS: Behind The Scenes With a New Gay Sitcom 50 min 20 sec ago
- Music LISTEN: Lady Gaga's 'Brooklyn Nights' Leaked 1 hour 41 min ago
- HIV & AIDS HIV 101: He's Positive, I'm Not — How Do We Deal? 1 hour 55 min ago
- HIV & AIDS HIV 101: What Is a Serodiscordant Couple? 1 hour 56 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment 10 TV Stars Who Are HIV Activists 1 hour 58 min ago