Trans Widow Stripped of Benefits
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 01 2011 3:15 PM ET
A Texas judge has ruled that the marriage between Nikki Araguz and her late husband, a firefighter who died fighting a blaze last year, is null and void because Nikki is a transgender woman.
The decision by state district judge Randy Clapp strips Araguz of Thomas Araguz III's death benefits. A suit against Nikki Araguz was brought by her husband's family, who said she shouldn't be granted the benefits because she was born male and Texas doesn't recognize same-sex marriage.
Araguz will likely appeal.
Read the full story here.
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey 4:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Love Starts With Acceptance 4:00 AM
- Year in Review 11 Great New Tech Gifts 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! December 05 2013 7:57 PM
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport December 05 2013 7:33 PM
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip December 05 2013 7:12 PM
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! December 05 2013 6:54 PM