Trans Widow Stripped of Benefits
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 01 2011 4:15 PM ET
A Texas judge has ruled that the marriage between Nikki Araguz and her late husband, a firefighter who died fighting a blaze last year, is null and void because Nikki is a transgender woman.
The decision by state district judge Randy Clapp strips Araguz of Thomas Araguz III's death benefits. A suit against Nikki Araguz was brought by her husband's family, who said she shouldn't be granted the benefits because she was born male and Texas doesn't recognize same-sex marriage.
Araguz will likely appeal.
Read the full story here.
- Dan Savage Calls Out Duggar's 'Staggering' Family Values Hypocrisy
- Op-ed: I'm a Trans Man Who Doesn't 'Pass' — And You Shouldn't Either
- Artist Spotlight: Ben McNutt
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- For YouTube's 10th Birthday, the 10 Best LGBT Videos
- 11 Sweet Celebrity Tweets Celebrating Ireland's Marriage Equality Win