Tracy Morgan Meets With Gay Youths Shunned By Parents
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 17 2011 4:30 PM ET
Comedian Tracy Morgan met with a handful of LGBT leaders and youths
Friday to talk about his remarks onstage during a set in Nashville last week, threatening to stab his
child if he ever said he was gay.
Morgan met with representatives from several gay rights organizations, including the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation and the Human Rights Campaign, as well as two young clients of the Ali Forney Center, which serves low-income or poverty-stricken LGBT youths in New York City. Jayden Love and Raciel Castillo said Friday that they were glad to have met the comic.
"Raciel's father insisted that his son's sexual orientation was a 'medical condition' that could be 'fixed' through therapy, and Jayden was expelled by her religious family for being who she is," the two said in a statement. "Our parents' inability to accept us changed our lives for the worse. We hope that our stories have the power to change not only Tracy's perspective, but those of any parent who may be struggling with accepting their child. In the meeting, Tracy clearly took responsibility for his words, and we hope that he will use his platform to make the world a better place for LGBT people."
Morgan will return to Tennessee Tuesday to apologize to those people he offended during his act. While in Nashville, Morgan will also meet with the Tennessee Equality Project and local advocates. He is also slated to participate in GLAAD's Amplify Your Voice public service announcement campaign.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good as Dead, Say Advocates
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Film New Man Of Steel and Wolverine Trailers Debut 1 hour 45 min ago
- Travel Top 10 Ways to Score and Upgrade on Your Next Flight 2 hours 21 min ago
- Travel A Perfect Day in Rio 2 hours 49 min ago
- Marriage Equality Recalls of Pro-Marriage Equality Lawmakers Quashed in Minnesota 5:30 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout 4:34 AM
- Current Issue A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World 4:00 AM
- Current Issue A Home of Our Own 4:00 AM