Tracy Morgan Meets With Gay Youths Shunned By Parents
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 17 2011 3:30 PM ET
Comedian Tracy Morgan met with a handful of LGBT leaders and youths
Friday to talk about his remarks onstage during a set in Nashville last week, threatening to stab his
child if he ever said he was gay.
Morgan met with representatives from several gay rights organizations, including the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation and the Human Rights Campaign, as well as two young clients of the Ali Forney Center, which serves low-income or poverty-stricken LGBT youths in New York City. Jayden Love and Raciel Castillo said Friday that they were glad to have met the comic.
"Raciel's father insisted that his son's sexual orientation was a 'medical condition' that could be 'fixed' through therapy, and Jayden was expelled by her religious family for being who she is," the two said in a statement. "Our parents' inability to accept us changed our lives for the worse. We hope that our stories have the power to change not only Tracy's perspective, but those of any parent who may be struggling with accepting their child. In the meeting, Tracy clearly took responsibility for his words, and we hope that he will use his platform to make the world a better place for LGBT people."
Morgan will return to Tennessee Tuesday to apologize to those people he offended during his act. While in Nashville, Morgan will also meet with the Tennessee Equality Project and local advocates. He is also slated to participate in GLAAD's Amplify Your Voice public service announcement campaign.
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional December 04 2013 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs December 04 2013 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth December 04 2013 3:37 PM