The Senate: 'It Gets Better'
June 29 2011 1:05 PM ET
The "It Gets Better" video universe now includes 13 senators who released their own version Wednesday.
The 13 Democratic senators released their video in a morning press conference at the Capitol — a project led by Sen. Chris Coons of Delaware. “Unlike with so many other issues that we have to deal with in the Senate, with LGBT equality, there is value in simply talking and in speaking out,” Coons said Wednesday.
The video features Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.), Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio), Maria Cantwell (D-Wash.), Chris Coons (D-Del.), Dick Durbin (D-Ill.), Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), Al Franken (D-Minn.), Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.), Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.), Jeanne Shaheen (D-N.H.), Mark Udall (D-Colo.), Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.), and Ron Wyden (D-Ore.).
Many of those senators have stated their public endorsement of marriage equality, with two of them, Sen. Gillibrand and Sen. Wyden, telling The Advocate last week that Pres. Barack Obama should come in support of marriage for gays and lesbians.
View the video below.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular 1 hour 6 min ago
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics 1 hour 58 min ago
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? 2 hours 5 min ago
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President 2 hours 46 min ago
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn 5:38 PM