Obama Addresses Global Gay Rights in UN Speech
September 21 2011 12:10 PM ET
Speaking before the UN General Assembly Wednesday, President Obama called for nations to "stand up for the rights of gays and lesbians everywhere."
The LGBT mention in his 35-minute address follows a June statement from the White House commending a UN Human Rights Council resolution that expressed "grave concern at acts of violence and discrimination, in all regions of
the world, committed against individuals because of their sexual
orientation and gender identity."
"No country should deny people their rights to freedom of speech and freedom of religion, but also no country should deny people their rights because of who they love, which is why we must stand up for the rights of gays and lesbians everywhere," Obama said Wednesday.
NYT has coverage of the president’s address here.
Update: Mark Bromley, chair of the Council for Global Equality, issued the following statement to The Advocate Wednesday on the president's address:
"The President's remarks today at the UN General Assembly, where he called for the world to 'stand up for the rights of gays and lesbians everywhere,' were historic. Never before has a sitting U.S. President spoken so clearly about LGBT rights in a formal address to the full General Assembly. It shows how far we have come.
"In his last months in office, President Bush refused to join a UN statement calling on countries to decriminalize homosexual relations and relationships. Today, President Obama stood before that same institution and pledged U.S. support for LGBT rights globally. This is the next frontier of the human rights struggle at the UN, and the arc of justice is clearly bending toward equality."
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Gun Advocate Uses Gays To Make His Point 1 hour 10 min ago
- Music EXCLUSIVE: Audra McDonald's 'Some Days' 2 hours 46 min ago
- Travel A Handy, Color-Coded Map to Gay Europe May 21 2013 8:43 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 4:40 AM
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 4:00 AM
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM