Transgender Veteran Speaks About Being Discharged
BY Michelle Garcia
September 28 2011 2:35 PM ET
A soldier who served in the Army National Guard for a decade and was discharged two weeks before "don't ask, don't tell" was removed from service because she is transgender.
Staff Sergeant Rebecca Grant toured overseas in Bosnia and Iraq. In 2009, a fellow soldier revealed that Grant is transgender, leading to her official discharge earlier this month. While she told WFPL News in Louisville, Ky., that getting rid of "don't ask, don't tell" is a positive step in the right direction, she added that there's still no protection for transgender people serving in the military.
“With education this could change, people being informed on the different issues, not being closed-minded, not being ultra-conservative. Allowing us to have the rights that we should have had as a United State citizen, we need change,” she says.
Currently, eight U.S. allies permit transgender people to serve openly, including the Czech Republic, Israel, and Great Britain.
U.S. Army regulations state that transgender people are unfit to serve. Grant was discharged because of gender identity disorder.
Below, watch Grant speak about her experience.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper 58 min 40 sec ago
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 1 hour 43 min ago
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship 2 hours 54 min ago
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy 2 hours 57 min ago
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall 6:16 PM
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality 6:09 PM
- Travel Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples 5:07 PM