Transgender Veteran Speaks About Being Discharged
BY Michelle Garcia
September 28 2011 1:35 PM ET
A soldier who served in the Army National Guard for a decade and was discharged two weeks before "don't ask, don't tell" was removed from service because she is transgender.
Staff Sergeant Rebecca Grant toured overseas in Bosnia and Iraq. In 2009, a fellow soldier revealed that Grant is transgender, leading to her official discharge earlier this month. While she told WFPL News in Louisville, Ky., that getting rid of "don't ask, don't tell" is a positive step in the right direction, she added that there's still no protection for transgender people serving in the military.
“With education this could change, people being informed on the different issues, not being closed-minded, not being ultra-conservative. Allowing us to have the rights that we should have had as a United State citizen, we need change,” she says.
Currently, eight U.S. allies permit transgender people to serve openly, including the Czech Republic, Israel, and Great Britain.
U.S. Army regulations state that transgender people are unfit to serve. Grant was discharged because of gender identity disorder.
Below, watch Grant speak about her experience.
- New Jersey Senate Passes Transgender Birth Certificate Bill
- Artist Spotlight: Best of Art, 2013
- BREAKING: Utah Marriage Ban Unconstitutional
- Hundreds of Catholic Students Protest Gay Vice Principal's Dismissal
- Duck Dynasty May Be Over After Antigay Tirade
- N.M. County Officials Resign Over Marriage Equality
- Transgender New Jersey Senate Passes Transgender Birth Certificate Bill 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Best of Art, 2013 5:00 AM
- World News Ugandan LGBT Activists: 'We Have to Stay and Fight' December 20 2013 8:57 PM
- Marriage Equality Photo from Utah: First Gay Couple Married December 20 2013 7:40 PM
- Women LISTEN: Out Folk Duo Hannah & Maggie's Lesbian Love Letter to Mrs. Claus December 20 2013 6:46 PM
- Women INTERVIEW: Welcome to the Age of Mary Lambert December 20 2013 4:55 PM
- Style Daily Crush: Out Russian Olympics T-Shirt December 20 2013 4:48 PM