Anita Bryant Wants A Gay Best Friend
BY Jeremy Kinser
November 02 2011 8:29 PM ET
Anita Bryant is not only cooperating on the forthcoming HBO biopic about her life, she even met with Chad Hodge, the gay man who is writing it, reports E Online's Marc Malkin.
Bryant followed being named a Miss America runner-up with an entertainment career, even serving as a Florida orange juice spokeswoman. She became a notorious LGBT equality opponent during the 1970s, and was famously hit in the face with a pie by a protester. Malkin writes that Bryant, 71, now runs a ministry from an office she shares with her husband in Oklahoma City.
"I went to Oklahoma and spent three days with her and Charlie," Hodge revealed to Malkin at GLSEN's Respect Awards. "I was the first gay man—gay person!—she agreed to talk to in 33 years."
Hodge, who executive produced the recently-canceled LGBT-inclusive NBC series The Playboy Club, says the two were initially panicked to meet one another. "We talked about everything," Hodge tells Malkin. "Religion, homosexuality, her life, and every detail of her life. I mean, everything!"
Hodge tells Malkin that Bryant was standoffish in the beginning, but she eventually opened up and even cried to him.
"Turns out she wants a gay best friend just like everyone else," Hodge said with a smile.
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Lady Gaga Congratulates Tom Daley, Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage 6 min 26 sec ago
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual 15 min 43 sec ago
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? 1 hour 20 min ago
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary 1 hour 53 min ago
- Women WATCH: Santana Lopez as the Best Bad Santa Ever! 2 hours 13 min ago
- Religion WATCH: Robertson Prays for Gays 'Recruited' By Abuse 4:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Idina Menzel's Female Empowerment Anthem from Frozen 4:07 PM