Will Address Tracy Morgan Incident
BY Jeremy Kinser
January 12 2012 7:58 PM ET
The controversy that followed Tracy Morgan's alleged homophobic comedy routine last summer in Nashville has inspired the plot of an upcoming episode of his NBC sitcom 30 Rock, reports Huffington Post's Rob Shuter.
Shuter speaks with out MSNBC anchor Thomas Roberts, who appears in the episode, and reveals details about the plot. "Well, you know how a lot of their episodes mirror their lives ... They've incorporated [Morgan's rant] into the Tracy Jordan storyline," says Roberts.
"Liz Lemon writes Tracy's apology on the show and says he's not a homophobe, he's an idiot. That offends idiots, so while NBC is being picketed by the LBGT community, now it's also being picketed by idiots led by Denise Richards. She's the leader of the idiots."
Last June 30 Rock creator Tina Fey said that while she found Morgan's
words disturbing, "It also doesn't line up with the Tracy Morgan I know,
who is not a hateful man and is generally much too sleepy and
self-centered to ever hurt another person. Morgan apologized for his
routine, in which he joked about killing his son if he was too
effeminate. “I want to apologize to my fans and the gay & lesbian
community for my choice of words at my recent stand-up act in
Nashville,” he said in a statement issued to The Advocate. “I’m not a
hateful person and don’t condone any kind of violence against others.
While I am an equal opportunity jokester, and my friends know what is in
my heart, even in a comedy club this clearly went too far and was not
funny in any context.”
Season 6 of the award-winning series will premiere tonight on NBC.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Democrats and Republicans Alike Wary of Virginia's Radical Lt. Gov. Nominee
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good As Dead, Say Advocates
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Neither Democrats Nor Republicans Pleased With Virginia's GOP Lt. Gov. Nominee 19 min 39 sec ago
- Entertainment News Bling King: Liberace Car, Piano on View in NYC 35 min 59 sec ago
- Love and Sex Dear Digital Romeo: How Do I Seduce a Guy Through Chat? 58 min 56 sec ago
- Women Free Kate — She's Been Targeted Before, Says Father 1 hour 49 min ago
- Marriage Equality Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says 2 hours 32 min ago
- Women Op-Ed: Case of Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Raises Questions About Sexual Double Standard 2 hours 45 min ago
- Music WATCH: Is This the Worst Music Video Ever? 2 hours 58 min ago