Will Address Tracy Morgan Incident
BY Jeremy Kinser
January 12 2012 7:58 PM ET
The controversy that followed Tracy Morgan's alleged homophobic comedy routine last summer in Nashville has inspired the plot of an upcoming episode of his NBC sitcom 30 Rock, reports Huffington Post's Rob Shuter.
Shuter speaks with out MSNBC anchor Thomas Roberts, who appears in the episode, and reveals details about the plot. "Well, you know how a lot of their episodes mirror their lives ... They've incorporated [Morgan's rant] into the Tracy Jordan storyline," says Roberts.
"Liz Lemon writes Tracy's apology on the show and says he's not a homophobe, he's an idiot. That offends idiots, so while NBC is being picketed by the LBGT community, now it's also being picketed by idiots led by Denise Richards. She's the leader of the idiots."
Last June 30 Rock creator Tina Fey said that while she found Morgan's
words disturbing, "It also doesn't line up with the Tracy Morgan I know,
who is not a hateful man and is generally much too sleepy and
self-centered to ever hurt another person. Morgan apologized for his
routine, in which he joked about killing his son if he was too
effeminate. “I want to apologize to my fans and the gay & lesbian
community for my choice of words at my recent stand-up act in
Nashville,” he said in a statement issued to The Advocate. “I’m not a
hateful person and don’t condone any kind of violence against others.
While I am an equal opportunity jokester, and my friends know what is in
my heart, even in a comedy club this clearly went too far and was not
funny in any context.”
Season 6 of the award-winning series will premiere tonight on NBC.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Education Theological School Grads Show Support With Rainbow Tassels 8:55 PM
- Technology Want the Worst? Search for 'Gayest' 8:25 PM
- The End of Bullying WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student 7:58 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt Refuses Plea, Heads to Court Over Same-Sex High School Relationship 7:48 PM
- Politics Ukrainian LGBT Pride Event Blocked 7:32 PM
- Sports MMA Fighter in First Fight Since Revealing Gender Transition 7:00 PM
- Women Op-Ed: Remembering Sakia Gunn: the News Coverage and Homophobic Murder 6:27 PM