Sandra Bernhard: GOP Is So Antiwomen, It's Unprecedented
BY Lucas Grindley
February 16 2012 3:05 PM ET
Actress and comedian Sandra Bernhard, who is never shy about her political views, says the antiwomen rhetoric now being pushed by the Republican Party represents "a whole new level of ignorance" that is unprecedented in history.
Among other things, Bernhard was reacting to presidential candidate Rick Santorum's belief that states have the legal standing to ban birth control, and his personal view that birth control is wrong.
"When I was a kid, you know, the feminists were out and people were activated," she said on Current TV's Young Turks, "even then the level of discourse was much higher and much more intellectual. Now we have these people who don't really know the facts, aren't interested in them, are totally reacting from this place of fear. I've never seen anything like it."
Santorum (who Bernhard calls "Sick Rantorum") was one of many Republicans who attacked President Obama for what they said was a policy forcing Catholic hospitals and other Catholic businesses to pay for women's birth control. A compromise announced by the president made clear that insurance companies would foot the bill, not the Catholic Church or its businesses. Bernhard seemed fine with the compromise but still stuck it to the Republicans for what she said is antiwomen rhetoric that will lead to the Democrats taking the back the House.
Watch the video below.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies 2 hours 53 min ago
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM