Tenn. Principal Quits After Telling Gay Students They're Hell-Bound
BY Neal Broverman
March 01 2012 8:35 PM ET
Tennessee high school principal Dorothy Bond has resigned under pressure following an incident in which she told gay students they were going to hell and a pregnant student that “her life was over.”
Bond was the principal of Brownsville's Haywood County High School until Thursday, just days after her remarks were discovered by the press.
During the contentious conversation, Bond was discussing which public displays of affection were appropriate at her school. She then turned to gay students and said, "If you’re gay, you’re going to hell, and if you’re pregnant, your life is over," according to some students. Local reports indicate Bond later confirmed to her superintendent that she indeed uttered the remarks.
Groups including the Human Rights Campaign called on Bond to resign — the HRC circulated a petition that received 5,000 signatures in four hours. After the announcement of Bond's resignation, the Haywood school system released the following statement: "The Haywood County Board of Education acknowledges its student body's right to free speech. Further, the Haywood County Board of Education strives to provide an atmosphere of tolerance and diversity while maintaining high academic standards."
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- Op-ed: NOM Can’t Shut Me Down
- After Elimination: Vivacious of RuPaul's Drag Race Season 6
- Throwback Thursday: Richard Simmons Gets Inappropriate on Whose Line Is It Anyway?
- Op-ed: No One Is Invincible
- Travel Destination of the Week: Denmark March 13 2014 7:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Daughter Teaches Mom Lesbian Slang March 13 2014 7:27 PM
- Women What do the OINTB Season 2 Promo Pics Mean for the Ladies of Litchfield? March 13 2014 7:14 PM
- Women BREAKING: Father of Murdered Texas Lesbian Arrested March 13 2014 6:34 PM
- Travel Directors, Reality Housewives and the Sad Story of WeHo's 'Death Corner' March 13 2014 5:33 PM
- Politics Michigan's First Out Federal Judge Confirmed March 13 2014 4:34 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Model Andrej Pejic Shouts: 'I'm a Boy and I'm a Girl!' March 13 2014 4:25 PM