Number of Antigay Hate Groups Rises 60 Percent
BY Nick Visser
March 08 2012 10:55 AM ET
The number of hate groups in the U.S. has grown for the 12th consecutive year, according to a report published Wednesday by the Southern Poverty Law Center.
Specifically, SPLC reports a 60% increase in the number of antigay hate groups, from 17 in 2010 to 27 last year. “They represent both a kind of right-wing populist rage and a left-wing populist rage that has gotten all mixed up in anger toward the government,” Mark Potok, a senior fellow with the Southern Poverty Law Center and author of the report, told the New York Times.
SPLC has been tracking the growth of hate groups for 30 years, and has documented a steady growth of such organizations since 2000, when 602 were identified. The legal advocacy group attributes the growth of antigay groups to the advances in LGBT rights, including the repeal of "don’t ask, don’t tell" and a growing push for marriage equality nationwide.
“It was precisely these advances that seemed to set off a furious rage on the religious right, with renewed efforts to ban or repeal marriage equality and what seemed to be an intensification of anti-gay propaganda in certain quarters,” Potok wrote in the report.
Read the full report here.
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member December 08 2013 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights December 08 2013 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM