Barney Frank, LGBT Lawmakers Endorse Pocan for Wis. Congressional Race
March 20 2012 1:44 PM ET
Three of the four LGBT members of Congress have endorsed Mark Pocan, a gay Wisconsin lawmaker who is running to represent the state’s second congressional district. The fourth openly gay representative, Congresswoman Tammy Baldwin, currently holds that seat and is now vying to become the first openly gay U.S. senator after Wisconsin senator Herb Kohl announced his retirement last year (she spoke about that potential milestone in a recent New York Times Magazine Q&A here).
Baldwin’s gay colleagues, representatives Jared Polis, David Cicilline, and Barney Frank (who retires at the end of this term), are now supporting Pocan’s bid for the seat Baldwin is leaving, the Wisconsin assembly member’s campaign announced Tuesday.
"To gain the support of so many national leaders from the LGBT community is personally important to me and very encouraging in my race." Pocan said in a statement. "I've spent my career in the state legislature working toward a more open Wisconsin. I'm grateful for a chance to join such esteemed leaders in that struggle at the national level."
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: Bill O'Reilly's 'War on Christmas' Led By Abortionists and Married Gays
- New York Officials Demand Olympic Sponsors Take Action
- HIV & AIDS Nelson Mandela, HIV Advocate and Humanitarian, Dies at 95 6 min 56 sec ago
- World News Nelson Mandela, Humanitarian and HIV Advocate, Dies at 95 25 min 25 sec ago
- Women Toni Braxton's Dream Role Is to Play Lesbian on Orange Is the New Black 26 min 35 sec ago
- Entertainment News Sam Champion Receives Emotional Send-Off From Good Morning America 56 min 54 sec ago
- Style Model Watch: Learn How To Charm The Camera With Marc Buckner 1 hour 27 min ago
- News New York Officials Demand Olympic Sponsors Take Action 1 hour 59 min ago
- Election Is The GOP Discriminating Against Its Gay Candidates? 2 hours 1 min ago