Barney Frank, LGBT Lawmakers Endorse Pocan for Wis. Congressional Race
March 20 2012 2:44 PM ET
Three of the four LGBT members of Congress have endorsed Mark Pocan, a gay Wisconsin lawmaker who is running to represent the state’s second congressional district. The fourth openly gay representative, Congresswoman Tammy Baldwin, currently holds that seat and is now vying to become the first openly gay U.S. senator after Wisconsin senator Herb Kohl announced his retirement last year (she spoke about that potential milestone in a recent New York Times Magazine Q&A here).
Baldwin’s gay colleagues, representatives Jared Polis, David Cicilline, and Barney Frank (who retires at the end of this term), are now supporting Pocan’s bid for the seat Baldwin is leaving, the Wisconsin assembly member’s campaign announced Tuesday.
"To gain the support of so many national leaders from the LGBT community is personally important to me and very encouraging in my race." Pocan said in a statement. "I've spent my career in the state legislature working toward a more open Wisconsin. I'm grateful for a chance to join such esteemed leaders in that struggle at the national level."
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Marriage Equality Oregon Republicans Support Marriage Equality 35 min 53 sec ago
- Uganda Ugandans Challenge 'Jail the Gays' Law in Court 42 min 13 sec ago
- Travel Melissa Etheridge Performing Russian Anthem at Toronto WorldPride 1 hour 5 min ago
- Television Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay 1 hour 14 min ago
- Youth Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill 1 hour 21 min ago
- Uganda Op-ed: Uganda's Top Tabloid Isn't News, It's a Hit List 2 hours 3 min ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Miami's Winter Party Combines Skin, Philanthropy 2 hours 35 min ago