Barney Frank, LGBT Lawmakers Endorse Pocan for Wis. Congressional Race
March 20 2012 2:44 PM ET
Three of the four LGBT members of Congress have endorsed Mark Pocan, a gay Wisconsin lawmaker who is running to represent the state’s second congressional district. The fourth openly gay representative, Congresswoman Tammy Baldwin, currently holds that seat and is now vying to become the first openly gay U.S. senator after Wisconsin senator Herb Kohl announced his retirement last year (she spoke about that potential milestone in a recent New York Times Magazine Q&A here).
Baldwin’s gay colleagues, representatives Jared Polis, David Cicilline, and Barney Frank (who retires at the end of this term), are now supporting Pocan’s bid for the seat Baldwin is leaving, the Wisconsin assembly member’s campaign announced Tuesday.
"To gain the support of so many national leaders from the LGBT community is personally important to me and very encouraging in my race." Pocan said in a statement. "I've spent my career in the state legislature working toward a more open Wisconsin. I'm grateful for a chance to join such esteemed leaders in that struggle at the national level."
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- California Becomes First State to Ban Gay, Trans 'Panic' Defenses
- Read This Mich. Democrat's Epic Response to Antigay Group's 'Pile of Excrement'
- Outrage After Major Minn. Paper Sells Transphobic Coalition Full-Page Ad
- Bible-Quoting Man Shoots Couple With BB Gun Outside Minneapolis Gay Bar
- Modern Family Director Live-Tweets a Plane Passenger's Drunken Meltdown