A Lesson for Carson Daly on 9/11 Hero Mark Bingham
BY Jeremy Kinser
March 28 2012 6:06 PM ET
Carson Daly had obviously forgotten about the heroic effort of the late Mark Bingham when he joked that gay people wouldn't have been able to restrain the JetBlue pilot who suffered a mid-air meltdown Wednesday. No one knows exactly what happened after Bingham, a gay man, and other passengers stormed the cockpit on September 11, but it's safe to say they were the inspiration for the new culture of activist passengers on planes these days.
Daly, who is also a producer and host of NBC's The Voice, quickly issued an apology via his Twitter account, saying, "This morning on my radio show I attempted to make fun of myself & offended others by mistake. I sincerely apologize."
Daly was joking about JetBlue pilot Clayton Osbon, who had a breakdown on a flight between New York and Las Vegas. He reportedly started shouting about a bomb, was locked out of the cockpit, then passengers jumped into action and used seat belts and plastic handcuffs to restrain him. TMZ reports that Carson discussed the pilot during his radio show this morning. "Most of the people were on their way to some sort of security conference in Las Vegas," Daly said. "It was like a bunch of dudes and well trained dudes... thank God."
Daly joked, "With my luck, it would be like 'this is the flight going to Pride in San Francisco... I mean, that would be my colleagues. Uh, we're headed down to Vegas for the floral convention." Daly then affects a lisping, stereotypical voice to imitate a gay passenger, "Oh, no, no thanks you. Handle it!"
The Advocate's Hall of Fame honoree Bingham, a 6-foot-4 gay rugby player, was on board United flight 93 on September 11, 2001 and was among passengers who stormed the cabin, preventing the al-Qaeda terrorists from slamming the plane into either the U.S. Capitol or the White House.
Listen to Carson's comments below.
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member December 08 2013 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights December 08 2013 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM