A Lesson for Carson Daly on 9/11 Hero Mark Bingham
BY Jeremy Kinser
March 28 2012 6:06 PM ET
Carson Daly had obviously forgotten about the heroic effort of the late Mark Bingham when he joked that gay people wouldn't have been able to restrain the JetBlue pilot who suffered a mid-air meltdown Wednesday. No one knows exactly what happened after Bingham, a gay man, and other passengers stormed the cockpit on September 11, but it's safe to say they were the inspiration for the new culture of activist passengers on planes these days.
Daly, who is also a producer and host of NBC's The Voice, quickly issued an apology via his Twitter account, saying, "This morning on my radio show I attempted to make fun of myself & offended others by mistake. I sincerely apologize."
Daly was joking about JetBlue pilot Clayton Osbon, who had a breakdown on a flight between New York and Las Vegas. He reportedly started shouting about a bomb, was locked out of the cockpit, then passengers jumped into action and used seat belts and plastic handcuffs to restrain him. TMZ reports that Carson discussed the pilot during his radio show this morning. "Most of the people were on their way to some sort of security conference in Las Vegas," Daly said. "It was like a bunch of dudes and well trained dudes... thank God."
Daly joked, "With my luck, it would be like 'this is the flight going to Pride in San Francisco... I mean, that would be my colleagues. Uh, we're headed down to Vegas for the floral convention." Daly then affects a lisping, stereotypical voice to imitate a gay passenger, "Oh, no, no thanks you. Handle it!"
The Advocate's Hall of Fame honoree Bingham, a 6-foot-4 gay rugby player, was on board United flight 93 on September 11, 2001 and was among passengers who stormed the cabin, preventing the al-Qaeda terrorists from slamming the plane into either the U.S. Capitol or the White House.
Listen to Carson's comments below.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards 12 min 4 sec ago
- Entertainment News GQ Germany Features Famous Straight Men Kissing for Tolerance 1 hour 46 min ago
- Women WATCH: Kim Stolz's Ridiculously Beautiful Wedding Video 2 hours 40 min ago
- Politics N.J. Legislature Could Enshrine Marriage Equality into State Law 2 hours 57 min ago
- Transgender Coalition Still Short in Bid to Repeal Calif. Trans Student Law 3:09 PM
- Religion Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks 2:44 PM
- Film WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online 2:41 PM