Newsmakers of the Year
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 29 2010 11:45 AM ET
Federal judges Vaughn Walker and Virginia Phillips
To antigay groups, they represent the apex of “judicial activism,” though if federal district judges Vaughn Walker and Virginia Phillips had ruled against gay rights, both would likely be considered heroes by those same social conservative organizations. Thankfully, the two jurists ruled this year on the side of justice and equality — Judge Walker in striking down Proposition 8, Judge Phillips in striking down “don’t ask, don’t tell.” Both cases were judged on the merits, and the two written opinions that resulted should be required reading for all — especially those who seek to discount them.
- 60 Music Videos That Raised LGBT Visibility
- Lesbian Feminist Cathy Brennan Sues AfterEllen for Defamation
- REPORT: Lawsuit Targets Woman Killed in Caitlyn Jenner Crash
- Op-ed: Whither Gay Provincetown?
- U.S. Marine Claims 'Trans Panic' in Murder of Trans Filipina Jennifer Laude
- Katrina Update: Where Are They Now?