Cardinal Uses Slur to Refer to Gay Ambassador Nominee
BY Michelle Garcia
July 03 2013 12:19 PM ET
James “Wally” Brewster, President Obama's nominee to become the ambassador to the Dominican Republic, was referred to with an antigay slur by the country's cardinal.
Obama nominated Brewster, who is gay, to become the next ambassador to the Spanish-speaking Caribbean nation in June. He was a top fund-raiser for Obama, and an LGBT cochair for the Democratic National Committee.
At a subsequent press conference, Catholic cardinal Nicolás de Jesús López Rodríguez said he was not pleased that Brewster may be the ambassador.
"Gays are interested in pushing their goals forward, but they know there are a lot of people around the world against that," he said in a video translated by Blabbeando. "People from Christian and non-Christian governments. Go ask the Muslim world what they think about it — in addition to Christians and evangelicals."
But then after a reporter asked about a Haitian boycott on Dominican poultry and eggs, he referred to Brewster as a "maricón," which translates to an antigay slur.
According to BuzzFeed, Monseñor Pablo Cedano, who was at Rodríguez's side at the press conference, said if Brewster comes to the island, he would have such an unpleasant experience that he would probably feel compelled to return to the U.S. He also said nominating him to the post showed a "lack of respect" from the Obama administration.
Watch the video below:
- Women Kim Basinger is Sleek and Sexy in Pin-Striped Men's Suit 2 hours 22 min ago
- Women Op-ed: The Right's War on Christmas - The 2013 Edition! December 18 2013 9:06 PM
- Entertainment News Ian McKellen Surprised Hobbit Fans At Desolation of Smaug Screening December 18 2013 7:07 PM
- Travel Sia Wants You to Help the Street Animals of India December 18 2013 5:23 PM
- Media BBC to Air Buffy The Vampire Slayer Retrospective December 18 2013 4:54 PM
- Women WATCH: Julia Roberts Is the Caboose in an Ellen DeGeneres Conga Line! December 18 2013 4:49 PM
- Sports Chicago Gay Hockey Association Wins at Celebrating Christmas December 18 2013 4:19 PM