Don't Ask, Don't Tell... Don't Blow It
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 04 2009 12:00 AM ET
Perhaps the pinnacle of these first 100 days was the passage of hate-crimes legislation in the House, with a Senate vote due as early as next week. I want that victory, long overdue -- much too late to save so many -- to be savored and honored. I don't want that victory blurred by an aggressive push on DADT that we simply may not be ready for.
At a fund-raiser a year before Election Day, candidate (and organizer) Obama encouraged us to be impatient with him. We will. We must.
But I'm looking for "constructive impatience." And if we have learned anything as a community, it is that our fight for equality demands all hands on deck. Gay hands, straight hands, presidential hands, congressional hands, and citizen hands.
We can't lose sight of our part in all this. And "our part" does not mean simply demanding that the president do his.
On so many issues of importance to the LGBT community, the president has some heavy lifting to do. But make no mistake. So do we.
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- Sen. Lisa Murkowski Endorses Marriage Equality
- Republican Wants Right to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu'
- Pastor: Homosexuals Bully Straights
- WATCH: Gay Marine Proposes to Boyfriend
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Marriage Equality Florida Group Aims to Build Marriage Equality Support 34 min 54 sec ago
- Women WATCH: The L Word's Kate Moennig in Ray Donovan Series Premiere 38 min 18 sec ago
- Crime Man Pleads Not Guilty to West Village Murder 46 min 51 sec ago
- Crime WATCH: Trans Woman Attacked in Hollywood Hate Crime Speaks Out 1 hour 1 min ago
- Politics This Man Wants to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu' 1 hour 15 min ago
- Music WATCH: 'Guess What?' Cazwell's New Video Is Hot! 1 hour 22 min ago
- Entertainment News Watch: Fox News' Most Anti-Trans Comments 1 hour 23 min ago