Don't Ask, Don't Tell... Don't Blow It
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 03 2009 11:00 PM ET
Perhaps the pinnacle of these first 100 days was the passage of hate-crimes legislation in the House, with a Senate vote due as early as next week. I want that victory, long overdue -- much too late to save so many -- to be savored and honored. I don't want that victory blurred by an aggressive push on DADT that we simply may not be ready for.
At a fund-raiser a year before Election Day, candidate (and organizer) Obama encouraged us to be impatient with him. We will. We must.
But I'm looking for "constructive impatience." And if we have learned anything as a community, it is that our fight for equality demands all hands on deck. Gay hands, straight hands, presidential hands, congressional hands, and citizen hands.
We can't lose sight of our part in all this. And "our part" does not mean simply demanding that the president do his.
On so many issues of importance to the LGBT community, the president has some heavy lifting to do. But make no mistake. So do we.
- Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- Op-ed: My Father's Daughter
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts New Anthem Supporting LGBT Russians
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: My Father's Daughter 1 hour 14 min ago
- Politics Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year 2 hours 14 min ago
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher December 12 2013 8:48 PM
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts December 12 2013 8:18 PM
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex December 12 2013 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study December 12 2013 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians December 12 2013 6:08 PM