View From the Hill: The Dems
BY Kerry Eleveld
June 18 2009 11:00 PM ET
In a letter to the DNC, Bruce Bastian probably said it best: "I will continue to support certain congressmen, congresswomen, and senators whom I believe will continue to fight for our rights, but I don't think blanket donations to the Democratic Party right now are justifiedâ€¦"
So there's our brave new world. Arms folded and casting a dubious look, community members now wait and watch to see if this week's events are a new beginning of mutuality or just a systematic and fleeting response from Democrats. It is, after all, an eerily familiar pattern. During the presidential primary, candidate Obama made himself available to the LGBT press twice -- once after the Donnie McClurkin imbroglio, and again following sustained criticism that he wasn't granting nearly as much LGBT access as Democratic rival Hillary Clinton.
The difference now is that a much wider array of people are registering their discontent in unison. Our rights are on the line. After the 2010 midterms, Democratic majorities will almost certainly dwindle. And within the heart of the movement, a palpable sense exists that justice delayed could literally be justice denied.
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Lady Gaga Congratulates Tom Daley, Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year 23 min 24 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination 1 hour 23 min ago
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 4:00 AM
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary December 06 2013 6:53 PM