WATCH: Va. Lt. Gov. Hopeful Says DADT Repeal Turned Military Into 'Sodom and Gomorrah'
BY Sunnivie Brydum
October 30 2013 11:15 AM ET
E.W. Jackson, the southern baptist minister who is running for lieutenant governor alongside antigay, antichoice Republican gubernatorial candidate Ken Cuccinelli, told the audience at a 2011 Virginia Family Foundation summit that when the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy barring open service by gays and lesbians was repealed that year, the Almighty God prepared to smite the U.S. military.
"How in the world can we expect our military to be blessed by the hand of almighty God if we allow our military to become the equivalent of Sodom and Gomorrah?" Jackson asked, incredulous in a videotaped speech posted Wednesday by Right Wing Watch. "God is not pleased."
Jackson has a long history of rabidly homophobic comments, and although he made the "Sodom and Gomorrah" comparison back in 2011, it's important to remember exactly where this candidate stands as polls show the Virginia gubernatorial race tightening in advance of the election on November 5. Jackson alleges that his past antigay statements have been "taken out of context."
Longtime LGBT activist David Mixner cites a new Quinnipac poll that has Cuccinelli and Jackson just four percentage points behind the democratic candidate, Terry McAuliffe. While Virginian women support McAuliffe by a 13-point margin — not surprising given Cuccinelli's unwavering quest to restrict abortion in the state and criminalize consensual anal and oral sex between adults — Cuccinelli enjoys a 6-point lead among men in Virginia, according to Quinnipac.
Watch Jackson's comments from the 2011 forum below, via RWW.
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License 23 min 29 sec ago
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 39 min 22 sec ago
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM