WATCH: ENDA Won't Protect Heterosexuals, Says Right-Wing Activist
BY Trudy Ring
November 04 2013 6:50 PM ET
Right-wingers are full of rants against the Employment Non-Discrimination Act as the U.S. Senate debates it today, and one of the most strident comes from Bryan Fischer, who unsurprisingly equates homosexuality with pedophilia but also seems not to realize that the term “sexual orientation” includes heterosexuality.
On his radio broadcast today, Fischer, who is with the American Family Association, referred to ENDA as the “Jerry Sandusky Pedophile Protection Act,” referring to the former Penn State assistant football coach who was convicted last year of multiple counts of child sexual abuse. “It is entirely right and entirely appropriate that we should discriminate against people based on their deviant sexual behavior,” Fischer said, equating LGBT people with Sandusky.
Fischer also hauled out the tired old lie about “special rights” for gay people, saying of ENDA, “There’s no protection in here for heterosexuals, none whatsoever.” Apparently he doesn’t realize that banning discrimination based on sexual orientation means banning discrimination based on heterosexuality as well as homosexuality or bisexuality. And that banning discrimination based on gender identity would protect not only transgender people but anyone whose gender presentation does not conform to norms or stereotypes.
Watch video of Fischer’s rant below, courtesy of Right Wing Watch.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Op-ed: In Defense of Jared Leto
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books 1 hour 27 min ago
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM