BY Advocate.com Editors
April 22 2010 3:30 PM ET
That last quote is from Rent, which uses the word tranny when Angel is eulogized. I guess it’s too late to protest Rent, so maybe the Tran Coulters can fill GLAAD’s in-box with complaints about the popular club Trannyshack? Should GLAAD bring the Internet petition hammer down on the University of Kansas for presenting a panel of trans speakers billed as “Tranny Talk”? It would definitely get all Clash of the Titans should GLAAD take on The Advocate, which quoted Sarah Silverman as saying that when she tries to dress up, she looks “like a tranny,” just for printing the t word.
Do you hate all those things, Tran Coulter? If you actually think those things are harmful, I’m guessing certain episodes of Winnie-the-Pooh may offend you too. All the love that went into making TOTWK is directly juxtaposed by the vitriol the film is facing from protests. We may not win an Oscar, but the film will certainly do more good than harm. Exposure leads to education.
Words only have the power they’re given, right? If that’s true, I need to address something that can sting way more than Times New Roman font. The Tran Coulter leader said she would protest the TOTWK premiere and could be identified because she’d be the “one throwing eggs.” Classy, right? Especially for someone who organized a protest that assembled a scant 10 people.
This is just a warning. If anyone throws eggs at me or my costars, there will be a smack-down. We might have eggs in our purses too. Some hard-boiled to bruise, and others uncooked to eff up your outfit. That would definitely make the 11 o’clock news. A tranny egg fight! It’ll be like a sequel ... or maybe a Tranquel.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good As Dead, Say Advocates
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Marriage Equality Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says 10 min 10 sec ago
- Women Op-Ed: Case of Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Raises Questions About Sexual Double Standard 22 min 43 sec ago
- Music WATCH: Is This the Worst Music Video Ever? 36 min 21 sec ago
- Transgender Jesse Tyler Ferguson Slams His Former Catholic School's Transphobic Graduation Policy 36 min 26 sec ago
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame 37 min 52 sec ago
- Politics Democratic 'Betrayal' Leaves Binational LGBT Families Stranded 49 min 14 sec ago
- Travel Peace Corps Opens to Same-Sex Couples 1 hour 4 min ago