Rev.'s Warning: Allowing Gays Will Be Democrats' Demise
BY Michelle Garcia
April 09 2012 8:17 PM ET
A campaign surrogate for Keryl Douglas, who is running for president of the Harris County, Texas, Democratic Party, attacked her gay opponent, Lane Lewis, warning that the party could be ruined by gay people.
In a campaign letter to Douglas's supporters, the Reverend Willie J. Howard wrote, "If the gays take over we are poised to lose everything we have worked for during President Obamas [sic] historic win. The Republicans will rally their troops behind a united front of making sure this push for same sex marriage is defeated."
After mentioning the advances of LGBT rights in Houston, thanks to lesbian mayor Annise Parker and other politicians, Howard urged Democrata supporters to Douglas for her or else the party will become "a party of homosexuals."
Lewis, who was president of the Houston GLBT Political Caucus, is currently the interim president of the Harris County Democratic Party. He was elected unanimously in December.
Read the full letter at the Dallas Voice.
- Michael Sam Passed Over By Every NFL Team
- WATCH: Gay Teen Explains What Bible Really Says
- WATCH: 'Christian' Family's Terrifying Response to Son Coming Out
- San Francisco Mourns Death of Legendary Drag Performer
- Britney Spears Heartfelt Letter to Once Suicidal Gay Fan
- WATCH: Teen From Disturbing Video Explains How It Started