Rev.'s Warning: Allowing Gays Will Be Democrats' Demise
BY Michelle Garcia
April 09 2012 8:17 PM ET
A campaign surrogate for Keryl Douglas, who is running for president of the Harris County, Texas, Democratic Party, attacked her gay opponent, Lane Lewis, warning that the party could be ruined by gay people.
In a campaign letter to Douglas's supporters, the Reverend Willie J. Howard wrote, "If the gays take over we are poised to lose everything we have worked for during President Obamas [sic] historic win. The Republicans will rally their troops behind a united front of making sure this push for same sex marriage is defeated."
After mentioning the advances of LGBT rights in Houston, thanks to lesbian mayor Annise Parker and other politicians, Howard urged Democrata supporters to Douglas for her or else the party will become "a party of homosexuals."
Lewis, who was president of the Houston GLBT Political Caucus, is currently the interim president of the Harris County Democratic Party. He was elected unanimously in December.
Read the full letter at the Dallas Voice.
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen 9 min 8 sec ago
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival 1 hour 32 min ago
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 1 hour 47 min ago
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 2 hours 4 min ago
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 2 hours 22 min ago
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 2 hours 24 min ago
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 2 hours 54 min ago