Rev.'s Warning: Allowing Gays Will Be Democrats' Demise
BY Michelle Garcia
April 09 2012 7:17 PM ET
A campaign surrogate for Keryl Douglas, who is running for president of the Harris County, Texas, Democratic Party, attacked her gay opponent, Lane Lewis, warning that the party could be ruined by gay people.
In a campaign letter to Douglas's supporters, the Reverend Willie J. Howard wrote, "If the gays take over we are poised to lose everything we have worked for during President Obamas [sic] historic win. The Republicans will rally their troops behind a united front of making sure this push for same sex marriage is defeated."
After mentioning the advances of LGBT rights in Houston, thanks to lesbian mayor Annise Parker and other politicians, Howard urged Democrata supporters to Douglas for her or else the party will become "a party of homosexuals."
Lewis, who was president of the Houston GLBT Political Caucus, is currently the interim president of the Harris County Democratic Party. He was elected unanimously in December.
Read the full letter at the Dallas Voice.
- Bobby Jindal Is Mad No One Thought Phil Robertson Was Funny
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- New Mexico Supreme Court Declares Statewide Marriage Equality
- Reality Star Marksman Chris Cheng Comes Out
- Figure Skater Brian Boitano Comes Out
- WATCH: Sexy Santas Want You to 'Get Enrolled' in Obamacare
- Travel Futuristic Vegas Nightclub Goes Gay 31 min 22 sec ago
- Obituaries Washington Marriage Equality Opponent Dies 1 hour 4 min ago
- Film Paul Rudd Set to Star in Marvel Comics Ant-Man Film 2 hours 5 min ago
- Entertainment News Reality Star Marksman Chris Cheng Comes Out 2 hours 37 min ago
- Travel Out Traveler Award Winner: Best Hotel Chain 2 hours 41 min ago
- People Bobby Jindal Is Mad No One Thought Phil Robertson Was Funny 2 hours 55 min ago
- Women The Incredibly True Adventures of 2 Lesbian Penguins in Love in Israel 6:13 PM