Rev.'s Warning: Allowing Gays Will Be Democrats' Demise
BY Michelle Garcia
April 09 2012 8:17 PM ET
A campaign surrogate for Keryl Douglas, who is running for president of the Harris County, Texas, Democratic Party, attacked her gay opponent, Lane Lewis, warning that the party could be ruined by gay people.
In a campaign letter to Douglas's supporters, the Reverend Willie J. Howard wrote, "If the gays take over we are poised to lose everything we have worked for during President Obamas [sic] historic win. The Republicans will rally their troops behind a united front of making sure this push for same sex marriage is defeated."
After mentioning the advances of LGBT rights in Houston, thanks to lesbian mayor Annise Parker and other politicians, Howard urged Democrata supporters to Douglas for her or else the party will become "a party of homosexuals."
Lewis, who was president of the Houston GLBT Political Caucus, is currently the interim president of the Harris County Democratic Party. He was elected unanimously in December.
Read the full letter at the Dallas Voice.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood 50 min 44 sec ago
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos 1 hour 14 min ago
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland 2 hours 35 min ago
- Entertainment News How To Take Down An Anti-Gay 'Victim' 2 hours 53 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: Perez Hilton Vs. Inflatable Alligator 6:00 PM
- Entertainment News One Direction: Caught Twerking—and in Calvins 5:44 PM
- Entertainment News Need to Know: Alabama’s All-Male Cheerleading Squad 5:33 PM