LGBT College Democrats Leader: It's Still About Youth
BY Michelle Garcia
September 06 2012 7:11 PM ET
Alejandara Salinas, president of the College Democrats of America, who just graduated from the University of Texas, made a stop in Charlotte to address the Democratic National Convention before heading to Boston College for her first year at law school.
As a representative of some of the youngest voters in the country, Salinas said she and her peers helped shape the course of American history by electing President Obama in 2008. "Some people say young people aren’t excited about this election; that it isn’t about us," she said. "But the decisions made over the next four years will affect us more than anyone."
She argued that the president's biggest policy decisions, like the Affordable Care Act, will help young people stay insured. And she said increasing Pell Grants for students and taking a progressive stance on LGBT issues has been critical to her generation.
"This president, on so many issues — immigration, LGBT rights, women’s health — has proven that he cares about all of us, and that he’ll keep on expanding opportunity," she said. "As a young, LGBT Latina, it seems to me that Mitt Romney only cares about an elite few."
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics 2 hours 30 min ago
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM