Tim Kaine Defeats Antigay George Allen for Virginia Senate Seat
BY Trudy Ring
November 06 2012 11:42 PM ET
Former Virginia governor Tim Kaine, a Democrat, has defeated Republican George Allen in the race for a U.S. Senate seat from the state.
Allen, a former senator from the state, lost his reelection bid in 2006 after being caught on tape using a derogatory racial term. Allen has a record of opposing marriage equality and, in a flip-flop, LGBT-inclusive hate-crimes laws. Read more here.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Shonda Rhimes to Antigay Viewer: 'Bye Felicia'
- Last-Minute Gift Ideas for the Catholic Who Suddenly Wants to Be Friends
- WATCH: Ruth Bader Ginsburg Sees 'No Crying Need' for SCOTUS to Take Up Marriage
- Op-ed: How the Voices of Children Have Helped Turn the Tide on Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: Be a Lady, Not a Tramp