Tim Kaine Defeats Antigay George Allen for Virginia Senate Seat
BY Trudy Ring
November 06 2012 11:42 PM ET
Former Virginia governor Tim Kaine, a Democrat, has defeated Republican George Allen in the race for a U.S. Senate seat from the state.
Allen, a former senator from the state, lost his reelection bid in 2006 after being caught on tape using a derogatory racial term. Allen has a record of opposing marriage equality and, in a flip-flop, LGBT-inclusive hate-crimes laws. Read more here.
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- Texas Successfully Blocks New Federal Rights for Gay Couples
- Audra McDonald Rips Indiana Governor Over Law
- Trans Teen Activist, Former Homecoming King, Dies in Charlotte, N.C.
- Gov. Mike Pence Just Gave Indiana a 'License to Discriminate'
- 12 Celebrities Who Said the “F” Word