Tim Kaine Defeats Antigay George Allen for Virginia Senate Seat
BY Trudy Ring
November 06 2012 11:42 PM ET
Former Virginia governor Tim Kaine, a Democrat, has defeated Republican George Allen in the race for a U.S. Senate seat from the state.
Allen, a former senator from the state, lost his reelection bid in 2006 after being caught on tape using a derogatory racial term. Allen has a record of opposing marriage equality and, in a flip-flop, LGBT-inclusive hate-crimes laws. Read more here.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Boys Wear Skirts to Class in Protest After School Fines Trans Girl for Wearing Skirt
- Op-ed: Gay Voice Is Ruining Lives
- Catholics: Antigay Leaders Get Boot, a Progressive Becomes American Archbishop
- The 50 Most Influential LGBT People in Media
- QueerFest St. Petersburg a Success Despite Evictions, Attacks