BY Julie Bolcer
November 02 2009 2:40 PM ET
Finian’s Rainbow, which opened Thursday, tells a charming, if implausibly benign, tale of greed, race relations, and the American Dream set in the segregated Deep South, in the fictitious town of Rainbow Valley. The show has garnered favorable reviews, mostly on the basis of the infectious music.
The Wizard of Oz-like backdrop doubled as the set for the commitment ceremony. White and Barnett processed from opposite stage wings to meet in the center, where they exchanged vows before the Reverend David Prince of Rutgers Presbyterian Church.
White serenaded Barnett with the classic “More Than You Know,” and the couple’s rings were delivered by 13-year-old cast member Christopher Borger.
Brett Berk, the gay son of Barnett, offered some words to the crowd.
“It appears as though my mother has officially out-gayed me,” said the VanityFair.com writer, before making more poignant observations.
“They’re each other’s perfect audience,” he said. “This is because they’re each other’s ideal stars.”
Afterward, misty eyes yielded to — what else? — necessity.
“I need a smoke!” exclaimed White as she exited the theater door and ran out to the street.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- Russia's High Court Declares 'Gay Propaganda' Ban Constitutional
- Op-ed: How a Symbol Changed Hearts and Minds
- Commentary Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black 48 min 42 sec ago
- Bisexual Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too 1 hour 48 min ago
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional December 04 2013 4:50 PM