Rachel Maddow and Jane Lynch Say Obama's Support Affected Them Personally
BY Lucas Grindley
May 17 2012 11:45 AM ET
MNSBC's Rachel Maddow and comedian Jane Lynch talked Wednesday about how President Obama's support for marriage affected them personally.
"I felt like half of me had to have a talk with the other half," Maddow said of the internal conflict of being a political journalist who is a lesbian. She said journalists were missing the point, and that the real importance of the president's statement is its potential to change minds.
Lynch said the president's statement had awakened something in her.
"When the president came out and said that he supported the dignity of our families and our relationships, that really moved me, that really touched me for the first time," she said. "And I've realized that I've been kind of distanced from it emotionally."
Maddow picked the out Glee star as the "Best New Thing in the World" on Wednesday and let her deliver a stinging rebuke of Republican opposition to marriage equality.
Lynch pointed out a high-level GOP pollster's worry that the party is on the wrong side of political trends.
"Someone's going to have to teach Republicans how to to talk about gay rights," Lynch said, "without seeming like they've caved to the Democrats. Some strategists are going to have to make it their speciality to teach Republicans how to be pro-gay while still sounding angry."
Watch the entire interview below.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- Same-Sex Kiss in Comic Inspired by Real-World Controversy
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 43 min 18 sec ago
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride May 20 2013 6:01 PM