Rachel Maddow and Jane Lynch Say Obama's Support Affected Them Personally
BY Lucas Grindley
May 17 2012 10:45 AM ET
MNSBC's Rachel Maddow and comedian Jane Lynch talked Wednesday about how President Obama's support for marriage affected them personally.
"I felt like half of me had to have a talk with the other half," Maddow said of the internal conflict of being a political journalist who is a lesbian. She said journalists were missing the point, and that the real importance of the president's statement is its potential to change minds.
Lynch said the president's statement had awakened something in her.
"When the president came out and said that he supported the dignity of our families and our relationships, that really moved me, that really touched me for the first time," she said. "And I've realized that I've been kind of distanced from it emotionally."
Maddow picked the out Glee star as the "Best New Thing in the World" on Wednesday and let her deliver a stinging rebuke of Republican opposition to marriage equality.
Lynch pointed out a high-level GOP pollster's worry that the party is on the wrong side of political trends.
"Someone's going to have to teach Republicans how to to talk about gay rights," Lynch said, "without seeming like they've caved to the Democrats. Some strategists are going to have to make it their speciality to teach Republicans how to be pro-gay while still sounding angry."
Watch the entire interview below.
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married 52 min 52 sec ago
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling 1 hour 47 min ago
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' 2 hours 19 min ago
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark 2 hours 28 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker 2 hours 44 min ago
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? 2 hours 45 min ago
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards 6:03 PM