Minnesota Vikings Star Comes Out for Marriage Equality
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
June 28 2012 10:22 AM ET
Minnesota Vikings hunky punter Chris Kluwe has come out for marriage equality in a big way, asking fans to vote against a state ballot initiative that would change the constitution to define marriage only between a man and a woman and doing video and radio ads for Minnesotans for Equality.
Yesterday, Kluwe told OutSports, "I’ve always believed that people are inherently the same and should have the same rights and equal protection under the law. It really doesn’t matter what you do with who or whom as long as you’re not infringing on someone else’s rights. Everyone should be free to live their own life however it makes them happy.:
A Vikings team mate for eight years now, 30-year-old Kluwe has a gay brother in law who he says lives in California and would love to legally marry his partner. But, the baller admits, that it's not just a gay relative that makes him support marriage equality. "For me, it’s always been about justice and doing what’s right. People should treat each other the way they want to be treated and that’s basically what life boils down to."
Kluwe also talks to OutSports about whether the NFL and its fans are ready for a gay player (hint: you'll like the answer) and why some fans already think he's gay.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Mass. Lt. Gov. Candidate Backs Marriage Equality; Conservatives Object
- Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square 3 min 19 sec ago
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? 45 min 54 sec ago
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album 1 hour 46 min ago
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS 1 hour 50 min ago
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback 4:10 PM
- Politics Gay Former Republican Congressman Condemns Interparty Discrimination 3:07 PM
- World News Putin Tightens Grip on Kremlin-Run News Agencies 3:02 PM