Minnesota Vikings Star Comes Out for Marriage Equality
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
June 28 2012 11:22 AM ET
Minnesota Vikings hunky punter Chris Kluwe has come out for marriage equality in a big way, asking fans to vote against a state ballot initiative that would change the constitution to define marriage only between a man and a woman and doing video and radio ads for Minnesotans for Equality.
Yesterday, Kluwe told OutSports, "I’ve always believed that people are inherently the same and should have the same rights and equal protection under the law. It really doesn’t matter what you do with who or whom as long as you’re not infringing on someone else’s rights. Everyone should be free to live their own life however it makes them happy.:
A Vikings team mate for eight years now, 30-year-old Kluwe has a gay brother in law who he says lives in California and would love to legally marry his partner. But, the baller admits, that it's not just a gay relative that makes him support marriage equality. "For me, it’s always been about justice and doing what’s right. People should treat each other the way they want to be treated and that’s basically what life boils down to."
Kluwe also talks to OutSports about whether the NFL and its fans are ready for a gay player (hint: you'll like the answer) and why some fans already think he's gay.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- The 'Undetectable' Paradox
- The Brains Behind Husbands
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 1 hour 19 min ago
- Television The Brains Behind Husbands 2 hours 16 min ago
- Tyler Curry The 'Undetectable' Paradox in Talking About HIV 2 hours 19 min ago
- Current Issue Meet the New Voice for Dallas 4:00 AM
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM