NOM Spokeswoman Complains When Antigay Arguments Called Out as Antigay
BY Sunnivie Brydum
August 01 2012 3:23 PM ET
Jennifer Roback Morse, founder and director of the Ruth Institute, a project of the National Organization for Marriage's Marriage Education Fund, is once again shifting the blame for antigay rhetoric to those meanies at ThinkProgress, Good As You, and the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation who called attention to Morse's patently homophobic statements.
Zack Ford at ThinkProgress LGBT highlighted Morse's false equivalencies between "fatherless households" and families headed by same-sex parents — a red herring frequently posited by antigay activists. Despite oppositional claims to the contrary, several studies have found that children raised by two same-sex parents are every bit as well-adjusted, socially and emotionally, as children raised in houses headed by opposite-sex couples. Ford also pointed to Morse's assertion that "the parallels" between Nazi Germany and modern America are "really quite chilling," and what happened in Nazi Germany "is happening to us."
In a response posted on Mercator.net, Morse continues to dodge questions raised about the content — and inaccurate sourcing — of her homophobic statements, opting instead to claim that Ford and other equality supporters have falsely equated opposition to the "gay lobby" with opposition to "gay rights."
Do you see what they have done? They have slipped in an unstated assumption that the “gay lobby” = “gay rights.” Anyone who disagrees with the gay lobby automatically, always and everywhere, opposes gay rights. Put it another way: they have turned an important and debatable question into an unquestioned assumption.
Morse fails to address the content of the statements she made that landed her on GLAAD's Commentator Accountability Project, which seeks to bring attention to antigay, biased statements made outside the mainstream media by frequent commentators and so-called experts on marriage equality and LGBT families.
While Morse and others are free to hold whatever beliefs they wish, the assertion that LGBT families and identity are a "debatable question" is an effort to erase the existence of those thousands of LGBT parents and people, many of whom are legally married spouses raising children.
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member December 08 2013 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights December 08 2013 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM