Last Poll in Maine Shows Marriage Equality Ahead
BY Lucas Grindley
November 06 2012 2:06 PM ET
The very last poll out of Maine shows the chances of marriage equality becoming law today are still favored.
The Maine People's Resource Center found that 50.5% of voters said they would pass marriage equality, while 46.5% said they wouldn't. Nearly 3% of voters were still undecided on the question.
The poll was conducted at the last minute, from November 1 to 3, and surveyed more than 900 likely voters. The poll comes with a margin of error of 3.26%.
The previous most recent poll conducted by the Pan Atlantic SMS Group of Portland in late September found 55% supported marriage equality, called Question 1 on the ballot, while 39% opposed. Talking Points Memo reports that an average of recent polls shows support at 51% and opposition at 46%.
Mainers United for Marriage was proud of the work its done during the campaign to overturn the state's 2009 ban on marriage equality. It reports sending volunteers to knock on 290,000 doors, making 1.11 million phone calls, and attracting more than 22,000 donors. Polls close in Maine today at 8 p.m.
Marriage equality is on the ballot today in various forms in Washington, Maryland, Minnesota and Maine.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Google's International Women's Day Doodle Includes Trans Women
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books 1 hour 7 min ago
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 2 hours 45 min ago
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 2 hours 50 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM