Marriage Ban in Indiana Faces Political Headwind
BY Lucas Grindley
December 14 2012 3:40 PM ET
The politics of marriage equality in Indiana are hard to read lately.
A new poll from Ball State University finds the public evenly divided, with 45% supporting same-sex marriage, 45% opposed and 10% undecided. But even with that division, 54% of respondents said they would oppose a constitutional ban on gays and lesbians being married.
Republicans in the state have threatened to push for a second round of voting needed in the legislature to send a constitutional ban to voters. But incoming Republican governor Mike Pence doesn't seem all that charged up about the idea.
"Let me comment on that after decisions are made at the Indiana General Assembly this year on what they want to address and when," he said during a news conference, side-stepping the issue, according to Indiana News Center.
The former congressman and rising star in his party is against same-sex marriage. That much has long been clear. "But I just think now is the time for Hoosiers to focus on getting this economy moving," he said.
In neighboring Illinois, things are headed in the entirely opposite direction. Lawmakers there announced plans to push for marriage equality legislation before the session ends in early January.
North Carolina is the most recent state to ban same-sex marriage via its constitution, with voters approving the measure overwhelmingly earlier this year. But in Minnesota, voters became the first in the country to derail the antigay amendment, and as a result talk among activists is now focused on how to get marriage equality passed in the state.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Bryan Singer Announces News for Next X-Men Film
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries
- Politics Gay Former Republican Congressman Condemns Interparty Discrimination 2 hours 13 min ago
- World News Putin Tightens Grip on Kremlin-Run News Agencies 2 hours 17 min ago
- Film Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries 2 hours 26 min ago
- Travel Super Seniors of the Palm Springs Follies Prepare for the End 2 hours 31 min ago
- Film Bryan Singer Announces News for Next X-Men Film 2 hours 31 min ago
- Acceptance Matters WATCH: We Wish Every Coming Out Got a Hug-a-Thon 2 hours 40 min ago
- Marriage Equality Antigay Think Tank Could Use a Copy Editor 2 hours 44 min ago