Thousands Protest Against Marriage Equality in France
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
January 13 2013 4:55 PM ET
Several hundred thousand people gathered at Champ de Mars Park at the Eiffel Tower in Paris today to protest against President Francois Hollande's plan to legalize same-sex marriage, according to Reuters. Anywhere between 340,00 and 800,000 protesters joined in (according to police and organizers, respectively), many of them waving blue and pink flags showing a man, woman,and two children.
According to Tom Heneghan of Reuters, the protests were strongly backed by the Catholic Church officials, anti-gay comedian Frigide Barjot, political conservative groups, as well as some Muslims, evangelicals, and "even homosexuals opposed to gay marriage."
Hollande's office told Heneghan that while the turnout was significant, it would not change his commitment to marriage equality.
"The French are tolerant, but they are deeply attached to the family and the defense of children," said Daniel Liechti, vice-president of the National Council of French Evangelicals, told Heneghan.
According to Reuters, support for marriage equality has actually dropped below 55% since opponents began their campaign, and "fewer than half of those polled recently wanted gays to win adoption rights."
Many protesters expressed their belief that same-sex couples should have civil rights, but that children deserved "to have a mother and father." Many protesters also carried signs carried with slogans including "marriagophile, not homophobe," "paternity, maternity, equality," and "all born of a father and mother."
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
Sign Up For Email Updates
- World News Marriage Equality Appeal Headed to Brazil's Supreme Court 2 hours 59 sec ago
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader May 21 2013 10:04 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? May 21 2013 10:00 PM
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! May 21 2013 8:29 PM
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. May 21 2013 8:25 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' May 21 2013 8:03 PM
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude May 21 2013 8:00 PM