Effort to Repeal Virginia Marriage Ban Goes Down in Flames
BY Neal Broverman
January 14 2013 3:36 PM ET
An effort to repeal Virginia's marriage equality ban in the state's House of Delegates failed after Republicans quashed it.
Democrat Scott Surovell, who introduced the repeal legislation, said times have changed since Virginia voters passed a referendum against same-sex marriage in 2006. He also warned that the ban was making the state less desirable for businesses who value equality.
Surovell's measure was defeated in a voice vote in a Republican-controlled subcommittee. Read more here.
- Year in Review The Advocate's Person of the Year: 'Idiotic' or 'Important?' 58 min 38 sec ago
- Women Kim Basinger is Sleek and Sexy in Pin-Striped Men's Suit December 18 2013 9:50 PM
- Women Op-ed: The Right's War on Christmas - The 2013 Edition! December 18 2013 9:06 PM
- Entertainment News Ian McKellen Surprised Hobbit Fans At Desolation of Smaug Screening December 18 2013 7:07 PM
- Travel Sia Wants You to Help the Street Animals of India December 18 2013 5:23 PM
- Media BBC to Air Buffy The Vampire Slayer Retrospective December 18 2013 4:54 PM
- Women WATCH: Julia Roberts Is the Caboose in an Ellen DeGeneres Conga Line! December 18 2013 4:49 PM