Effort to Repeal Virginia Marriage Ban Goes Down in Flames
BY Neal Broverman
January 14 2013 4:36 PM ET
An effort to repeal Virginia's marriage equality ban in the state's House of Delegates failed after Republicans quashed it.
Democrat Scott Surovell, who introduced the repeal legislation, said times have changed since Virginia voters passed a referendum against same-sex marriage in 2006. He also warned that the ban was making the state less desirable for businesses who value equality.
Surovell's measure was defeated in a voice vote in a Republican-controlled subcommittee. Read more here.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies 1 hour 14 min ago
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship 1 hour 41 min ago
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM