Effort to Repeal Virginia Marriage Ban Goes Down in Flames
BY Neal Broverman
January 14 2013 4:36 PM ET
An effort to repeal Virginia's marriage equality ban in the state's House of Delegates failed after Republicans quashed it.
Democrat Scott Surovell, who introduced the repeal legislation, said times have changed since Virginia voters passed a referendum against same-sex marriage in 2006. He also warned that the ban was making the state less desirable for businesses who value equality.
Surovell's measure was defeated in a voice vote in a Republican-controlled subcommittee. Read more here.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Arts & Entertainment Week in Beef: Ben Cohen, Frank Ocean, Hugh Jackman, and More Shirtless Celebs May 19 2013 6:02 PM
- Sports Griner: Baylor Coach Enforced Closet Policy May 19 2013 5:59 PM
- Politicians Gay Activists Interrupt Marco Rubio Speech May 19 2013 2:03 PM
- Hate-crimes WATCH: Vigil for Hate Crime Victim Mark Carson May 19 2013 1:01 PM
- Comedy WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression May 19 2013 12:39 PM
- Television WATCH: Did Stefon Marry Seth Meyers or Anderson Cooper? May 19 2013 12:32 PM
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM