PHOTOS: First Same-Sex Marriage in Delaware Met With Cheers
BY Jase Peeples
July 01 2013 2:27 PM ET
State senator Karen Peterson and her partner, Vikki Bandy, made history by becoming the first same-sex couple to be legally married in Delaware earlier today, reports The News Journal of Wilmington.
When they were pronounced legally marred by the New Castle County Clerk of the Peace Ken Boulden, the room erupted with cheers and applause celebrating the happy couple’s union.
Though Peterson and Brandy may be newlyweds in the eyes of the law, Peterson says, “We’ve been married for 23 years.” That couple had a small commitment ceremony 23 years ago, exchanging the same wedding rings they did today.
Take a look at a few photos from the couple’s historic and happy moment below.
New Castle County Clerk of the Peace Ken Boulden leads Peterson and Bandy down the hall.
- Dan Savage Calls Out Duggar's 'Staggering' Family Values Hypocrisy
- Op-ed: I'm a Trans Man Who Doesn't 'Pass' — And You Shouldn't Either
- 11 Sweet Celebrity Tweets Celebrating Ireland's Marriage Equality Win
- #TBT: The Battle for the Bulge
- The Cities LGBTs Love And the Ones We Shun
- Duggar Show Pulled From TLC Schedule, Could Be Canceled