PHOTOS: First Same-Sex Marriage in Delaware Met With Cheers
BY Jase Peeples
July 01 2013 2:27 PM ET
State senator Karen Peterson and her partner, Vikki Bandy, made history by becoming the first same-sex couple to be legally married in Delaware earlier today, reports The News Journal of Wilmington.
When they were pronounced legally marred by the New Castle County Clerk of the Peace Ken Boulden, the room erupted with cheers and applause celebrating the happy couple’s union.
Though Peterson and Brandy may be newlyweds in the eyes of the law, Peterson says, “We’ve been married for 23 years.” That couple had a small commitment ceremony 23 years ago, exchanging the same wedding rings they did today.
Take a look at a few photos from the couple’s historic and happy moment below.
New Castle County Clerk of the Peace Ken Boulden leads Peterson and Bandy down the hall.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia March 11 2014 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis March 11 2014 6:25 PM
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 March 11 2014 5:55 PM