PHOTOS: First Same-Sex Marriage in Delaware Met With Cheers
BY Jase Peeples
July 01 2013 1:27 PM ET
State senator Karen Peterson and her partner, Vikki Bandy, made history by becoming the first same-sex couple to be legally married in Delaware earlier today, reports The News Journal of Wilmington.
When they were pronounced legally marred by the New Castle County Clerk of the Peace Ken Boulden, the room erupted with cheers and applause celebrating the happy couple’s union.
Though Peterson and Brandy may be newlyweds in the eyes of the law, Peterson says, “We’ve been married for 23 years.” That couple had a small commitment ceremony 23 years ago, exchanging the same wedding rings they did today.
Take a look at a few photos from the couple’s historic and happy moment below.
New Castle County Clerk of the Peace Ken Boulden leads Peterson and Bandy down the hall.
- Religion WATCH: Christian Pastors Involved in African LGBT Issues — But Not How You May Think 16 min 21 sec ago
- Love and Sex Single, Fun, Fit, and 50 28 min 16 sec ago
- Travel Travelogue: News and Notes from Philly, San Diego and More 45 min 4 sec ago
- Politics Virginia's House Repeals Sodomy Ban 1 hour 44 min ago
- Crime WATCH: Gay Couple Attacked in NYC on 10th Anniversary 1 hour 50 min ago
- Theater Late Gay TV Star's Play Eyes Broadway 2 hours 34 min ago
- Commentary Why Is the St Patrick's Day Parade So Important to LGBT Activists? 2 hours 34 min ago