PHOTOS: First Same-Sex Marriage in Delaware Met With Cheers
BY Jase Peeples
July 01 2013 1:27 PM ET
State senator Karen Peterson and her partner, Vikki Bandy, made history by becoming the first same-sex couple to be legally married in Delaware earlier today, reports The News Journal of Wilmington.
When they were pronounced legally marred by the New Castle County Clerk of the Peace Ken Boulden, the room erupted with cheers and applause celebrating the happy couple’s union.
Though Peterson and Brandy may be newlyweds in the eyes of the law, Peterson says, “We’ve been married for 23 years.” That couple had a small commitment ceremony 23 years ago, exchanging the same wedding rings they did today.
Take a look at a few photos from the couple’s historic and happy moment below.
New Castle County Clerk of the Peace Ken Boulden leads Peterson and Bandy down the hall.
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court 55 min ago
- HIV & AIDS There Are Other Ways to Prevent HIV Besides Condoms 56 min 50 sec ago
- HIV & AIDS The Crisis in Prevention for the Gay Community 58 min 34 sec ago
- Entertainment News Listen to The Sound Of Music Live Soundtrack with Carrie Underwood 1 hour 59 min ago
- Travel Berlin's Best Neighborhoods: A Primer 2 hours 4 min ago
- Entertainment News James Franco Teases 50 Shades of Batman & Robin 2 hours 50 min ago
- Entertainment News Tom Daley: 'It Really Was Love at First Sight' 2 hours 56 min ago