Lesbian Couple First to File For Formal Civil Union in Arizona
BY Jase Peeples
July 07 2013 3:07 PM ET
Kathy Sowden and Deborah Grier made history on July 5 when they became the first same-sex couple in Arizona to have their relationship legally recognized as a civil union, reports KGUN TV.
Bisbee, a small town in Arizona, was the first city in the state to approve same-sex civil unions. The new legislation was put into practice 30 days after the Bisbee City Council approved an ordinance legalizing civil unions for same-sex couples on June 4, 2013. Shortly thereafter, Tucson followed suit and also wrote civil unions into Tucson’s city law.
"It's not marriage 100 percent, but it protects us a little more” said Sowden. “We've had friends who have had major problems when one of them has been ill.”
Sowden and Grier’s civil union allows them to claim a few of the privileges that married couples enjoy, including the ability to make medical decisions for one another when necessary. Additionally, Grier says having their relationship legally recognized in some form is a relief. "I think it didn't feel a whole lot different but just the knowledge that somebody will actually recognize our union of 21 years."
In 2008, Arizona voters approved Proposition 102, which bans same-sex marriage in the state by defining marriage as a “union of one man and one woman.” However, a new amendment is expected to be placed on the 2014 election ballot which would replace the current definition with a gender-neutral definition.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional December 04 2013 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs December 04 2013 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth December 04 2013 3:37 PM