Federal Judge Grants Benefits to Lesbian Widow
BY Michelle Garcia
July 31 2013 11:59 AM ET
A federal judge ruled on Monday that a law firm must now share retirement benefits with the surviving spouse of a lesbian employee, just as it would for the spouses of heterosexual, married employees.
Illinois couple Jennifer Tobits and Sarah Ellyn Farley wed in Canada in 2006. After Farley's death from cancer in 2010, Tobits sued Farley's employer, a law firm with offices in Illinois where the couple lived, that was headquartered in Pennsylvania. Because marriages for same-sex couples — foreign and domestic — are not recognized under the laws of Pennsylvania, the firm initially denied spousal recognition to Tobits.
Judge C. Darnell Jones II ruled Monday, however, that the federally sanctioned financial plan to which Farley contributed must recognize Tobits's marriage to Farley. Jones ruled in their favor because the couple lived in Illinois, a state that does not allow same-sex marriages but recognizes same-sex marriages from outside states and foreign countries as civil unions.
"An Order from the Circuit Court for Cook County, Illinois, dated October 21, 2011, declared Ms. Tobits a party to a civil union with Ms. Farley and declared her Ms. Farley’s sole heir," Jones, a Bush appointee, wrote in his opinion Monday, according to Think Progress. "Furthermore, that court granted Ms. Tobits’ request to become administrator, authorizing her to take possession of and collect the estate of the decedent and to do all acts required by law."
The decision this week was put off until the U.S. Supreme Court ruled on Windsor v. U.S., in which the court ruled that the so-called Defense of Marriage Act was unconstitutional.
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year 33 min 26 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination 1 hour 33 min ago
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 4:00 AM
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary December 06 2013 6:53 PM