WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
BY Sunnivie Brydum
December 11 2013 7:45 PM ET
After a state judge ruled last week that Jack Phillips broke Colorado's antidiscrimination law when he refused to bake a wedding cake for a gay couple, the owner of Masterpiece Cakeshop made the conservative media rounds, bemoaning how his religious freedom has been infringed upon.
Fox & Friends interviewed Phillips and his attorney earlier this week, notably excluding any comments from the other side of the argument. The segment, hysterically titled "The Death of Free Enterprise," saw host Elisabeth Hasselbeck ask Phillips if he was willing to go to jail over his religious convictions against serving gay couples.
"If that's what it takes," Phillips said. "I don't believe I need to drop my religious convictions at any time for any reason."
Hasselbeck neglected to mention that Phillips, even upon being found guilty of discrimination, isn't at risk of going to jail. Violations of Colorado's antidiscrimination ordinances allow for fines to be imposed, but offenders don't see jail time. And as the judge declared — despite Hasselbeck and Phillips attorney's arguments to the contrary — if Phillips operates a business that's open to the public (which he does), he's required to serve all members of the public without regard to their race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, disability status, marital status, sexual orientation, or gender identity, if he hopes to keep his business on the right side of long-standing Colorado law.
Watch the Fox & Friends segment below, then click to the next page for some serious absurdity and fatalism, compliments of the notoriously antigay Bryan Fischer.
- Hot Sheet: A New Quiver
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer
- Boston: Major Beer Sponsor Pulls Out of St. Pat's Parade
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina 26 min 51 sec ago
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver March 14 2014 7:30 PM
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans March 14 2014 6:55 PM
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 March 14 2014 6:41 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages March 14 2014 6:39 PM
- Film Is Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes the Greatest Gay Film Ever Made? March 14 2014 5:30 PM
- Media Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer March 14 2014 4:37 PM