French First Lady Waiting to Witness Gay Weddings
BY Michelle Garcia
December 04 2012 2:52 PM ET
The First Lady of France says that she has already been invited to several planned weddings of gay couples, pending proposed legislation to legalize marriage equality in France.
Valerie Trierweiler, who is dating French President Francois Hollande, told the Agence France-Presse that she has been asked to act as a witness for one couple. The law is expected to be addressed by Parliament in the coming session, however conservatives and religious leaders have promised a staunch fight against the law. Thousands of protesters took to the streets in November to oppose the law, but public opinion polls show that most people agree with extending marriage rights to same-sex couples.
Hollande, who has expressed support for marriage equality, however, recently said the law should allow mayors the refrain from presiding over ceremonies if they do not agree with marriage equality. Some gay rights activists saw the move as condoning homophobia, according to the AFP.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Robbie Rogers to Become First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash 46 min 10 sec ago
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash 46 min 18 sec ago
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings 1 hour 52 min ago
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Ex-Girlfriend's Parents Speak 2 hours 27 min ago
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' 12:35 PM
- Sports Robbie Rogers Returns as First Openly Gay Footballer 11:56 AM