Mark Hundahl, Co-Owner of Frontiers, Dies at 61
BY Sunnivie Brydum
December 29 2012 2:44 PM ET
Mark Hundahl, the straight co-owner of Los Angeles-based LGBT magazine Frontiers, died early Thursday morning of cancer, according to Frontiers' news editor Karen Ocamb. Hundahl was 61 years old.
Ocamb's lengthy remembrance of her boss quotes Frontiers publisher David Stern, a longtime friend and business partner of Hundahl's, recalling the professional partnership between the two men.
"Those who knew us well and experienced how we worked together called us 'the odd couple,' Stern told Frontiers, the magazine he has been running for the past four years. "I'm the eternal optimist, always seeing the glass half-full. Mark, on the other hand, was more like, 'Where's the glass?' There's water everywhere.' He always saw that you could either ride its wave or possibly drown in it. We always had each other's back, and we never let each other drown."
Hundahl is survived by his wife, Dr. Bethany Marshall. A memorial service will be scheduled in January, reports Ocamb. In lieu of flowers, memorial donations are requested for the nonprofit Hundahl recently founded with Stern, the Frontiers Awareness & Education Foundation. Donations can be made online, or tax-deductable checks can be made payable to Frontiers Awareness & Education Foundation, and sent to 5657 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles, CA, 90036.
Read Ocamb's full remembrance of Hundahl and his myriad contributions to the LGBT community here.
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 46 min 36 sec ago
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 2 hours 56 min ago
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM