Geraldo Has No Idea What a Gay Slur Is
BY Michelle Garcia
December 23 2013 3:43 PM ET
Fox News contributor Geraldo Rivera says the epithet Alec Baldwin spouted to a photographer isn't a homophobic slur — at least where Rivera is from.
Last week Baldwin's comments came up when Sean Hannity criticized A&E for putting Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty on indefinite hiatus because of Robertson's homophobic and racist comments. Hannity panelist Rivera said Baldwin's statement, in which he called a photographer a "cocksucking faggot," were "commonplace" where he grew up, according to Media Matters.
"That wasn't a homophobic slur," Rivera said. He added, "Sean, Baldwin and I all grew up 10 miles of each other, and when we were growing up, in my year especially, those comments were commonplace."
Baldwin's words resulted in his being suspended from his MSNBC show, which was canceled soon after.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Rep. Steve King Wants Congress to Denounce Supreme Court's Marriage Equality Ruling
- 15 More Queers and Allies to Watch in 2015
- WATCH: Straight Vlogger Slams Same-Sex Marriage Opponents
- Christian Woman Records Herself Losing It Over Marriage Equality, Gets Remixed
- President Obama Has Not Called for LGBT National Holiday