WATCH: Michael Sam Should 'Gay It Up,' Says Daily Show
BY Rebecca Juro
August 28 2014 4:15 PM ET
Recent ESPN coverage of Michael Sam’s progress with the St. Louis Rams focused bizarrely on whether he’s showering with teammates — but according to a Daily Show segment from last night, Sam acutally needs to “gay it up.”
ESPN’s Josina Anderson theorized this week that Sam might be avoiding showering with his teammates because his presence could make them uncomfortable, a line of thought that made Daily Show host Jon Stewart wonder if Sam’s using body wash made from garlic and rotten eggs. Then he got to the heart of the matter, saying, “Michael Sam’s gay. Aren’t we over this yet?”
But then Daily Show correspondent Samantha Bee told Stewart that Sam’s teammates are disappointed because “he hasn’t been getting naked around them at all. Jon, there’s been no grab-ass, no dick snaps, no ball cupping. None of the locker room behavior of normal heterosexual NFL players.” If he wants to make it in the NFL, he should “gay it up,” she says.
Sam, the first openly gay player to be drafted by an NFL team, has made the Rams’ first cut to a 75-man roster, bringing him one step closer to becoming the first openly gay player to appear in a regular season NFL game. Whether he’ll be on the team’s final 53-man roster will be revealed this weekend.
Watch the full hilarious Daily Show segment below.
- UFC Women's Champ Refuses to Fight Trans Athlete Fallon Fox
- 60 Homoerotic Album Covers
- Straight Talk With Years & Years' Olly Alexander, the U.K.'s New Gay Pop Star
- Antigay Texas Attorney General Surrenders After Indictment
- First African-American Gay Superhero Joins Arrow Cast
- Lesbian Couple Allegedly Beaten After Kissing Outside Six Flags New England