Chaz's Stepmom, GOP Rep. Mary Bono Mack, Defeated
BY Neal Broverman
November 11 2012 6:38 PM ET
California's Mary Bono Mack, who took over her late husband's seat in Congress, was defeated on Tuesday by Democrat Raul Ruiz.
Mack represented the Coachella valley, an area east of Los Angeles that includes Palm Springs. The upscale desert community is seeing an influx of wealthy liberals, many of whom are gay, as well as a growing Latino population; the demographic swings may have done Mack in. Politico surmises she was also hurt by the fact that she spent time in Florida campaigning for her husband, GOP senator Connie Mack, who was also defeated last week.
Mack's loss is a big blow to Republicans, according to Politico.
Mack bested Steve Pougnet, the out gay mayor of Palm Springs, in 2010 when he ran for her Congressional seat. That same year, Mack voted to repeal "don't ask, don't tell." She also voted twice against a federal amendment to ban marriage equality. The Congresswoman is the stepmother of transgender activist Chaz Bono and the widow of entertainter and politician Sonny Bono, who was killed in a skiing accident in 1998. His widow was elected to fill his seat in a special election held after his death and reelected every two years until now.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill May 18 2013 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre May 18 2013 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM