Mass.: Out Pol Announces Bid for Congress
BY Michelle Garcia
February 11 2013 4:02 PM ET
Out Massachusetts state representative Carl Sciortino announced that he will run for Congress, going after the seat that may be vacated by Rep. Edward Markey.
Sciortino would run for the seat if Markey wins a special election for the U.S. Senate seat vacated by new Secretary of State John Kerry.
Sciortino was first elected to the state legislature at age 25 in 2004 in a major upset against a 14-year incumbent. He is one of Massachusetts's seven openly gay legislators and coauthored the 2011 Transgender Equal Rights bill. He also cosponsored legislation that created a 35-foot buffer zone at the entrances to reproductive health centers. He lives in Medford with his fiancé.
"I am running to coninue the strong progressive leadership that the families of the Fifth District have always counted on," he said in a statement on his newly launched website Friday.
The Democrat also endorsed Markey's candidacy.
"I am proud to call Ed Markey my Congressman and I am dedicated to helping elect him as our next U.S. Senator," he said. "His record on behalf of Masachusetts families — fightng for jobs, consumers' rights, and a healthier environment — is the kind of leadership Massachusetts needs in the Senate and it is a record I look forward to continuing in Congress."
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries
- Media PHOTOS: Adam Lambert, Jane Lynch, Chris Colfer, Fergie at TrevorLIVE Benefit 55 min 57 sec ago
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke 2 hours 36 min ago
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square 2 hours 45 min ago
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback 4:10 PM