Transgender Adoptive Parent Featured on Oxygen Documentary Series
BY Sunnivie Brydum
August 08 2012 1:52 PM ET
I'm Having Their Baby, a new documentary series on Oxygen, chronicles the adoption process from the perspective of pregnant women. The show's latest episode profiles Sydney, a 22-year-old woman in Portland, Ore., who is giving her baby girl to married couple Tinujei ("T") and Jesse, who is a transgender man.
"I realize that placing my child with a transgender parent could be controversial," Sydney says in the show, "but the truth is that he's just as capable of raising a child as anyone I know."
Sydney chose the couple from several contenders, which included a straight couple, a gay couple, and the adoptive parents. T and Jesse, both in their 30s and married for eight years, were in Sydney's hospital room for the birth of their daughter, Greta Miyo.
"Most people wouldn't consider a trans parent adoption," says Jesse. "But Sydney — she was so amazing in how she saw it as an asset. Every single second of this process with her has been pretty incredible."
"I could not have asked for a better couple," Sydney says in a video diary posted on Oxygen's website. "I don't want to imagine being in a world where they don't have kids. That's heartbreaking to me."
Despite occasional problematic language -- as when Sydney and her friends refer to Jesse as "a transgender" rather than as a transgender man or a trans person, the program is overall supportive of T and Jesse as fit parents. Sydney in particular seems confident in her selection of T and Jesse as adoptive parents, and she frames the process as a surrogacy and a "gift" she can give to two loving parents who couldn't have children on their own.
Jesse and T maintain contact with Sydney, who provided breast milk and visits Greta weekly.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action 26 min 3 sec ago
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? 1 hour 10 min ago
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season 1 hour 11 min ago
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity 1 hour 27 min ago
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth 3:37 PM