WATCH: Laverne Cox Kills it With 'Creating Change' Speech
BY Jase Peeples
February 01 2014 12:48 PM ET
Actress Laverne Cox fired up the audience at the opening of the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force annual conference "Creating Change" on Jan. 30.
The Orange is the New Black star received constant bouts of applause and cheers as she spoke about the struggles of trans people and the need for justice.
"This feels so amazing, all this love that you're giving me tonight,” Cox said. “I have to say that a black, transgender woman from a working class background raised by a single mother — that's me — getting all this love tonight. This feels like the change I need to see more of in this country."
Watch Laverne Cox’s full moving speech in the video below
- Op-ed: Gay Nightlife Is Dead — Long Live Gay Nightlife
- Op-ed: Rethinking the Shame Game Against Homophobes
- The Golden Age of Denial: Gay Bible Porn
- Finnish Postal Service Will Release Tom of Finland Stamps
- RuPaul's Drag Race, Logo TV Apologize for Transphobic Slur
- Op-ed: How Not to React When an LGBT Teacher Is Fired